We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Pirate Act Passes Senate  (Read 13210 times)

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
Re: Pirate Act Passes Senate
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2020, 1521 UTC »
I read above someone said the FCC didnt want this...

I didn’t mean to say this was something the FCC didn’t want.  I meant to say they probably didn’t request it.  I am sure they would prefer Congress give them additional funding for enforcement rather than the potential for increased penalties.

This act places requirements for an annual report to Congress, and annual sweeps through the top 5 markets among other things.  I’ll bet the FCC will be told to do this within their current budget.

If this is in fact an unfunded mandate, I would think this is Act is not something they are happy with...but that doesn’t mean they won’t comply with it.  If you are a pirate in the “Top 5” markets (whatever they are) you should pay careful attention.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2020, 2337 UTC »
I read above someone said the FCC didnt want this....... If it does go into effect they dont have to enforce it if they dint want to do they? (If they dont want it to begin with)

What happens is fcc forgets/disregards to look into a matter as described to them by some licensed bcaster, thus the manager of said bcaster emails his or her congressional representation, shtf at fcc, so you can be sure if a local bcaster gets pissed at you, things will happen.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2020, 1236 UTC »

Offline QRP

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2020, 1330 UTC »

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2020, 2129 UTC »
If you privateer the am and/or fm airwaves, let this be your warning.

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2020, 2327 UTC »
"PIRATE Act signed into law by President  8)" <= Wrong 'moji !    8)

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2020, 1622 UTC »
“(g) Pirate radio broadcasting database.—

“(1) IN GENERAL.—Not later than 90 days after the date of the enactment of this section, and semi-annually thereafter, the Commission shall publish a database in a clear and legible format of all licensed radio stations operating in the AM and FM bands. The database shall be easily accessible from the Commission home page through a direct link. The database shall include the following information:

“(A) Each licensed station, listed by the assigned frequency, channel number, or Commission call letters.

“(B) All entities that have received a notice of unlicensed operation, notice of apparent liability, or forfeiture order issued by the Commission.

I am neither a lawyer nor a politician, so perhaps the nuance of the language used is completely missed by me.

In (g)(1)(a)- they've had that for many years. The only thing missing is the AM & FM Query links on the home page.

(g)(1) clearly states that the DB is for licensed radio stations. Yet (g)(1)(B) has mentioned unlicensed.

So is this a database of all unlicensed ne'er-do-wells plus licensed stations that are in range or something?

I wish they'd address the jamming of the broadcast bands with IBOC and cheap electronics. On the other hand, maybe that is not such a good idea... unintended consequences & all that.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 1624 UTC by skeezix »
Minneapolis, MN

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2020, 1659 UTC »
“(g) Pirate radio broadcasting database.—

“(1) IN GENERAL.—Not later than 90 days after the date of the enactment of this section, and semi-annually thereafter, the Commission shall publish a database in a clear and legible format of all licensed radio stations operating in the AM and FM bands. The database shall be easily accessible from the Commission home page through a direct link. The database shall include the following information:

“(A) Each licensed station, listed by the assigned frequency, channel number, or Commission call letters.

“(B) All entities that have received a notice of unlicensed operation, notice of apparent liability, or forfeiture order issued by the Commission.

I am neither a lawyer nor a politician, so perhaps the nuance of the language used is completely missed by me.

In (g)(1)(a)- they've had that for many years. The only thing missing is the AM & FM Query links on the home page.

(g)(1) clearly states that the DB is for licensed radio stations. Yet (g)(1)(B) has mentioned unlicensed.

So is this a database of all unlicensed ne'er-do-wells plus licensed stations that are in range or something?

I read this as lists of both licensed stations (which as you note have existed for years) as well as a list of everyone who has been issued a NOUO or NAL. I don't see a time limit on that, so I assume going back to 1934?  :)

And they have 90 days from enactment, which IIRC is when new laws are published?

(f) Revision Of Commission Rules Required.—The Commission shall revise its rules to require that, absent good cause, in any case alleging a violation of subsection (a) or (b), the Commission shall proceed directly to issue a notice of apparent liability without first issuing a notice of unlicensed operation.

Speaking of, sounds like MW/FM pirates go directly to NAL now. Do not pass go, do not collect several NOUOs first.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2020, 2248 UTC »

I wish they'd address the jamming of the broadcast bands with IBOC and cheap electronics.

^^^  this
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2020, 0452 UTC »
If you are a pirate in the “Top 5” markets (whatever they are) you should pay careful attention.

Top 5 radio markets = New York, L.A., Chicago, San Francisco (Bay Area), Dallas-Fort Worth.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2020, 2136 UTC »
Regardless, if you're in podunk Iowa and make the gm of your only local ambc sta jealous with your little hobby station..... you might expect a knock.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2020, 0033 UTC »
Regardless, if you're in podunk Iowa and make the gm of your only local ambc sta jealous with your little hobby station..... you might expect a knock.

Yeah, small market folks are funny like that.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns