We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: MFJ is closing down  (Read 590 times)

Offline NJQA

• Virginia
    • View Profile
MFJ is closing down
« on: April 26, 2024, 1416 UTC »
MFJ is closing their manufacturing lines.  This also includes their other brands (Ameritron, Cushcraft, HyGain, etc.).

I’ve suspected this because their owner is over 80 and it seems like more and more of their products are out of stock.

People like to criticize MFJ and it is true that they often have quality control problems, but they have had an impact on the hobby and some of their products (like the 259 Antenna Analyzer) have become legendary.

https://mailchi.mp/62e24f2ccc99/a-heavy-sad-heart?

Offline flexoman61

• DXing Phenomena
  • Connecticut, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: MFJ is closing down
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2024, 1849 UTC »
Too bad, I have several of their products and never any problems.
Please QSL to: flexoman61@gmail.com
Connecticut
ICOM R75, Kenwood R-2000, Radio Shack PRO-2037
43m band folded dipole/VHF ground plane

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2024, 2006 UTC »
Even though some people nicknamed them Mississippi's Finest Junk, I've owned many of their products, and I don't think I've ever had issues with them.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline n2avh

• State College PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2024, 2330 UTC »
It isn't clear to me if Martin tried and failed to sell the company, or if that wasn't something he considered.  The first thing I thought of was that this will accelerate the ARRL's decline, given what MFJ ad revenue meant to the print QST. I'm one of the many who didn't renew, in my case after 20+ years, when they went to the surcharge for print.  I don't know what it means for ham radio in North America as a whole--it's possible that once the behemoth of peripherals is gone, we'll see a new blossoming of small-scale, more specialized providers as we had pre-MFJ.  Or maybe someone will approach Martin to acquire one or more of the brands he bought up over the years, if not MFJ as a whole.
Big into SWDX late 70s through early 90s, then forgot about it and when I returned via SDRs it wasn't at all what I remembered, but I'll deal with it. Grumble, grumble. All SDRs acknowledged, nothing is from my own radio.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: MFJ is closing down? That is too bad.
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2024, 1905 UTC »
MFJ, like Heathkit and even Ramsey, gear was like this, if you didn't like it, more than likely, you could modify it to become an even better product to suite your needs. They, will be missed.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Polar Bear

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2024, 1633 UTC »
The problem is - that you cannot sell even low end HF equipment to people who's only investment in amateur radio is a walkie talkie.

When you killed the CW you killed the HF.  All of the intelligence has left the bands and the cb radio has taken over!

Online Shortwave_Listener

• DXing Phenomena
  • British Columbia, Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Shortwave Listener
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2024, 1706 UTC »
The problem is - that you cannot sell even low end HF equipment to people who's only investment in amateur radio is a walkie talkie.

When you killed the CW you killed the HF.  All of the intelligence has left the bands and the cb radio has taken over!

Lucas Bandura
eQSL appreciated! lucasnerite@gmail.com
Songs are identified with Shazam if needed. I usually use KiwiSDR receivers. Reception from my QTH is using an SDRPlay RSP1A for SWL with a 40 meter band Inverted V at 40 feet. Kenwood TS-570D for ham use.
My website: https://swl7.wordpress.com/
Shortwave Radio Archive: https://www.youtube.com/@SW_Archive
https://archive.org/details/@shortwave_radio_archive

Offline NQC

• Boston,MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2024, 1428 UTC »
Hey All,

MFJ offered a lot of cool toys at good prices, but hit and miss re QC. If you didn't mind the hassle of a a reship sometimes , eventually you would wind up with a working product at a decent price. My ant tuner had a bad  solder joint I simply touched it up. It shouldn't have happened but I knew   it was "buyer beware" before I went in.

I just have to laugh every time I hear this code  "argument".

I used to copy  some of the most FOUL mouthed operators and drunk jammers  WAY back in the 60's, when there was a CODE  requirement :o. There was a BIG clique of these attention hungry clowns on 3885 AM.

I have PERSONALLY heard it from 2 all the way down to 160.

There are ALWAYS going to be bad apples  no matter where you go. A code requirement never was and never will be a "screening mechanism " to keep the idiots out ! :o! :o!.

FWIW,  The  best and most   EXTREMELY knowledgeable  hams (inc. Extras, ie folks employed in cutting edge /classified electronics ) I knew all  started out on CB  and then  "graduated" up to amateur radio.

And yes, CB, for the most part,  is  a playground for RF  simpletons. But like it or not , most  hams started out there.So we have to (grudgingly) "give" CB at least that -  it was an easy venue for the "first step".

Whatever.

NQC
« Last Edit: May 04, 2024, 1533 UTC by NQC »
Station main receiver : Bed springs to  blue razor blade detector to 2000 ohm cans to steam  radiator. Grid FN 42

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns