We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Best MWDX antenna?  (Read 47579 times)

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
Re: Best MWDX antenna?
« Reply #90 on: May 23, 2021, 0112 UTC »
I purchased the new RTL-SDR L band patch antenna last month so this one is my next project.
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/two-reviews-of-our-new-l-band-patch-antenna-stock-update/

As with yourself, I am primarily DC to 30 MHz and 220 to 400 MHz (UHF MIL and SATCOM). I ventured into ADS-B (1090) in 2018. ADS-B is Automatic Dependent Surveillance - Broadcast and are ground & aircraft transponders including flight data. Essentially, the high frequency version of HF-DL or ACARS. This is what the airspace around my house looked like in September 2019.

Now I am curious to look at the GPS band, INMARSAT and Iridium space with the SDR.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2021, 1323 UTC by ~SIGINT~ »

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2021, 1923 UTC »
I thought about ADS-B back when the RTL-SDR landed. I just never got around to it. Some day perhaps.

I largely dropped out of the UHF scene when public services and similar went digital.

Be careful or next you might have a Ku dish on a motorized mount…. and looking for somewhere to put the C-band. ;D
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2021, 0131 UTC »
Well, a Ku antenna kind of already exist in the front of the house but it's busy receiving DTH satellite TV service. There are some interesting Ku LNBs mounted in tin cans which work for antennae in that band. For UHF, I only listen to the military stuff in the 220 to 400 MHz band, including the UHF SATCOM.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 25, 2021, 0451 UTC »
Not sure when he started offering them, but ra0sms now has a flag/pennant antenna kit on eBay. :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/201553084711

Same but with an 1-4MHz bandpass filter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202274557903

Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2021, 0317 UTC »
My second active mini-whip arrived. Now to take a portable to the backyard and hopefully find a couple of relatively RFI quiet spots to place them.

I am a little more concerned about placement than usual as small active verticals are essentially e-field probes. Even a foot or two difference can change coupling to local noise fields.

Get them deployed, then see how well my phasing unit can effectively utilize the small array.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Best MWDX antenna? The W.O.G....
« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2021, 1930 UTC »
JTA still swears on using the W.O.G., (Wire On Ground.), for RX'ing LF and MW super quiet signals. Hopefully, that may happen this Fall since, thanks, (Or no thanks!), to Biden, all gas line projects around the property here have been put on either a prolonged, or indefinite, hold. I have hundreds of feet of trashed RG-11 rigid coax, with tough PVC outer jacket. Useless as regular coax, but that solid aluminum outer conductor could make for a kick-ass antenna. Stay tuned!!!!!!
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2021, 2041 UTC »
I used an 148' run of RG-6 as a wire-on-ground for years. Fed the center at one end, and shorted the other end back to the shield. I am not sure there was any improvement over just a piece of wire, but I had lots of coax going unused.

Fed it straight, with an 1:1, and with a 4:1. Did not seem to make much difference IMO. I went with a straight feed. No common mode choke at the feedpoint, either, so the feedline shield was the other part of the antenna. Worked okay enough for my purposes from MW through mid-HF at the time.

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 31, 2021, 2359 UTC »
As promissed, here are a couple of SDRuno screen shots with the RTL-SDR L band patch antenna connected to the RSPduo SDR which I mentioned in reply #90. No issues with reception, and this is with the antenna sitting inside on the window sill.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 05, 2021, 0413 UTC »
Pretty nice for inside. :)

BTW, I was able to quote and view the pics, though note they are not showing up here at HFU. The host might be blocking them at third-party sites.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 05, 2021, 0445 UTC »
Deployed one active miniwhip. Have another one to go. I am using a PA0NHC-derived design built with SMD parts via the Transverters-Store.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/222469570201

I did not bother much with selecting a spot. I just put it at the back lot line away from the house. Mast is a 10.5' fence top rail buried about 3' in the ground. I might extend the height later, but I have to take some care due to tropical weather. I really not too interested in installing guylines, either.

The antenna is working. I am listening to 20m SSB contacts at 0428z ranging from California to Russia. Noise floor on 20m is averaging under -120dB according to my AirSpy HF+ Discovery. Not bad IMO. :)

I am not even using any ferrites on the feedline, and the the coax is only grounded to the base of the mast. It was getting dark outside when finishing up the coax run. I do have a KD9SV RF common mode choke rated for 3000-ohms+ resistance at .5-10MHz back near the receiver.

I intend to ground the antenna at the top of the mast as intended by the design, plus probably install a few ferrites. Maybe tomorrow.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 0638 UTC by RobRich »

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: June 05, 2021, 0503 UTC »
A quick screenshot of AM BCB. Well, a 725KHz portion of the band to be technical.

https://imgur.com/a/eCcJHWO

Current nighttime mediumwave noise appears to be hovering around -90dB at the bottom of the band to nearly -100dB at the top of the band. From a noise perspective, my community is somewhat rural, but my immediate neighborhood is more like a suburban area.

I am definitely going to need the second active antenna and the phasing unit to sort out the mediumwave jumble. Too bad the phaser only goes down to ~1MHz, but whatever I suppose. I am more of a casual mediumwave listener anyway.

I would do a screenshot comparison with another antenna, like my 148' LoG, though the feedlines for those are across the house. I try to do a comparison at some later time.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2021, 0635 UTC by RobRich »

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: June 05, 2021, 0810 UTC »
Quickly skimming VLF and lower LW with the active miniwhip, I was able to spot Cutler at 24KHz, Aguada at 40.75KHz, and WWVB at 60KHz.

Rolled by a few beacons in LW. I would say my CW is limited, but it is more like nonexistent without a decoder. Morse code just does not work for me.

NavTex at 518KHz; probably Miami.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: June 05, 2021, 1041 UTC »
Still running in the background. Been listening to Asian DX on 40m SSB this morning, including currently an op from Papua New Guinea running 100w into whatever loop antenna.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2021, 2345 UTC »
Now grounded to the top of the mast, too. Did the same thing I did at the bottom of the mast. A couple of F connectors, a female-to-female barrel connector, and a hose clamp. Yeah, it is a mechanical connection, but soldering at the top of a mast with wind blowing (and thunder in the background) did not seem like a fun idea.

Might go back out in a few to add a few snap-on ferrites, though AFAIK, most of the ones I have available currently are for higher frequencies. Whatever, I suppose.

I was also considering adding a few on-ground radials at the bottom of the mast. Like maybe four to eight 9' wires. Still undecided, though.

I will try to deploy the other miniwhip later this week or next, then take a closer look at MW with the phaser inline.

Update. A snap-on ferrites added, for whatever they might or might not help. I need to order some more mix 31 or 43 ferrites. I just do not like the price for large ones.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2021, 2358 UTC by RobRich »

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: June 08, 2021, 0038 UTC »
I was never pleased with my Mini-Whip antennae. One of them works not bad but the other not so well because of its location. They most certainly do not perform like the one at the University of Twente. I'm going to replace one of them with a short vertical of some kind. I just need to design and get around to building it.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns