We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: just my opinion  (Read 3809 times)

Nella F.

just my opinion
« on: December 14, 2012, 2148 UTC »
I see* "A. F."  ::) has posted as late as yesterday, sooo...
Just so I'm clear, let me get this straight (note: a disclaimer...not all, obviously, but many)...
If it's some over-the-hill, in & out of jail reeking of drug-alcohol-tobacco-pot-sexual-spousal abuser etc. ad-nauseum musician, you can't post his "obituary" fast enough. On the other hand, when it's 92 year old pioneer Ravi Shankar... oh, wait, didn't he father an illegitimate child...? Well, there's your hook. "But that 'hook' is Nora Jones" you say?....  ::) "Never Mind!"  ::)

Here's fun: "Musician dead pool 2013".You have to post 5 (or 10) picks by midnight, Dec. 31, 2013. The winner gets, I don't know, you guys come up with something. (There's got to be @ least one R.S. employee among you). Rules open to negotiation. Suggestions: Gotta be a muscian (David Crosby) or someone directly associated with the music business (Dick Clark... opps I just checked he's already r.i.p.). You get the idea. Any takers? p.s. "Happy Birthday B. K. S. Iyengar, going strong at Ninety-Four!" ;D
What's Your >:( excuse?
*Correction:   :o "G. F."  :o
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 2156 UTC by Nella F. »

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: just my opinion
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 2153 UTC »
Around here, we refer to "A.F." as the Grim Fansome.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Fansome

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 2345 UTC »
I saw his obituary, and meant to post it, but just never got off the dime; too much going on right now, and most of it bad.

I started posting obits back when I was on the FRN; I did this in the hopes that it would give the pirates ideas for "memorial" shows. I looked for people who had some connection to music that I felt at least some viewers would find familiar; the lifestyle of the deceased really had no bearing on the matter. I also figured that, since most pirate shows are about popular music, most pirate listeners would find the news to be of interest. After a time it got to be a hobby, and I got the impression that at least some people thought it was amusing.

When I moved to HFU I continued the practice. I assume some people find it annoying, but I only post in the General Discussion forum, and I try to make the subject obvious enough that people who aren't interested can just skip over the post.

I don't care for Shankar's music, but I normally don't let that stop me from posting an obit. I think he was a bad influence on the Beatles, George Harrison in particular, but they're all a part of music history now, and I would have noted his passing had I gotten around to it.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 2349 UTC by Fansome »

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 0709 UTC »
Now,now.......... Ravi was known to smoke the occasional chillum of ganja and knocked back more than a few bhang lassi's.

David Crosby has been on my list for 30 years. Nothing can kill that doped up,crazy dwarf.

Now if you don't mind,I'm off to listen to the Dead Milkmen's "The Thing That Only Eats Hippies." I suggest you two hooligans do the same.

Offline Billy the Mountain

• MO
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 1820 UTC »
Bitchin' Camar---
--
Somewhere in MO.
TR7/Sony 2010/SDRPlay/40m dipole/Various other aerials.
Ubuntu 14.04, FreeBSD 10.2, why am I putting OSs in my sig?