We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: KAREN CARPENTER  (Read 1434 times)

Offline weaksigs

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
    • Email
KAREN CARPENTER
« on: February 04, 2013, 0245 UTC »
KAREN CARPENTER DIED FEBRUARY 4, 1983
Karen was known for her "perfect" pitch and had a voice unlike anyone else.
The Carpenters were one of the biggest-selling American musical acts of all time.
Between 1970 and 1984 brother and sister Richard and Karen Carpenter had 17 top 20 hits,
 including "Goodbye to Love", "Yesterday Once More", "Close to You" and "Rainy Days and Mondays".
They notched up 10 gold singles, nine gold albums, one multi-platinum album and three Grammy awards.
Karen's velvety voice and Richard's airy melodies and meticulously crafted arrangements stood in direct
contrast to the louder, wilder rock dominating the rest of the charts at the time, yet they became
immensely popular, selling more than 100,000,000  records.

Richard was the musical driving force but it was Karen's effortless voice that lay behind the Carpenters' hits.
Promoted from behind the drums to star vocalist, she became one of the decade's most instantly recognizable
female singers. But there was a tragic discrepancy between her public and private selves. Offstage, away
from the spotlight, she felt desperately unloved by her mother, Agnes, who favored Richard, and struggled
with low self-esteem, eventually developing anorexia nervosa from which she never recovered. She died at the age of 32.

:D   http://dl.dropbox.com/u/65026409/06%20-%20SuperStar.mp3
 :D   http://dl.dropbox.com/u/65026409/14%20-%20Only%20Yesterday.mp3
Central Florida
136' random wire for general HF,
Winradio Excalibur G31 & Kenwood TS-590

Peace!

Offline RCCI

• DX Legend
  • Chicagoland
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: KAREN CARPENTER
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 0417 UTC »
Yes indeed a great artist and singer. She also played a mean drum set. When she and brother Richard had their own TV show. One episode, she is shown going to one drum set to another playing a variety of different style drums. You can see this drum solo on YouTube. It's worth looking up if you were / are a fan.   ....Steve
+ Equipment: Yaesu FRG 100B, Kenwood R-1000, Yaesu FRG7,
+ Antenna: 75' dipole, height 21', running north and south.  Chicagoland area.
 *** QSLs welcomed at: gangwise1997@yahoo.com   Thanks!   ...Steve

Offline weaksigs

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: KAREN CARPENTER
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 0135 UTC »
Thanks  RCCI - Radio Comedy Club International
My wife, who is considerably younger than me loves her songs.
I do also and can remember them on my old VW Sedan on the
AM stations.  She was mesmerizing!

I will up the UTUBE drum video.

Many Thanks and Peace!

weaksigs
Central Florida
136' random wire for general HF,
Winradio Excalibur G31 & Kenwood TS-590

Peace!