We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: great conditions=startling Asian signals ahoy!  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
great conditions=startling Asian signals ahoy!
« on: February 10, 2013, 0632 UTC »
I'll preface this by saying all these logs were gotten while an hour north of my usual QTH and thus away from big city RFI central.  

I think I must've been getting Asian signals over a path from Europe today, as there was no sign of WWVH.  Asians, on the other hand, there were!  CRI was everywhere on bandscans, India showed up at least once, and at least one BBC outlet via Singapore was in where it was seldom heard before.  This log in particular was a surprise, even with my misidentifying it as Beibu Bay initially:  

9820, CNR 2 business radio, 2130-2148.  Mandarin talk, mainly from a female presenter, into upbeat dance music near tune-out.  Loud het from Radio 9 de Julho, signal fair otherwise.  SINPO 32333.  

But get this.  10mHz nearly made me fall over when I tuned to WWV.  Colorado I got, as that station hardly ever goes anywhere, but beyond that... holy cow!  *BPM* was alongside WWV at 2329!  It stayed that way until the hour changed, too - no quick fade-up and fade-out here.  I caught the pips, Morse IDs and admittedly fainter voice IDs to prove it.  

10000, BPM, 2326-0000.  Second pips at tune-in, to Morse ID's at 2329 and faint spoken ID's following.  Second pips returned at 2355, leading to the top of the hour, Morse and more faint spoken ID's.  Signal strong, SIO 444 at best, generally around 333 throughout monitoring.  Audible clearly along with WWV and a weaker Observatorio Nacional in Brazil.  

That log leads into another delightful point of the day for me.  How propagation to and from Europe and Asia led to this catch, I do not know.  I've been looooonging to hear the station I keep mentally misnaming as Observatorio Brasileira for months now, and would you believe today I actually pulled it off?  It was weak, and it was beneath WWV and BPM, but it was pretty definitely there.  

10000, Observatorio Nacional do Brasil, 2330-0000.  Pips and Portuguese announcements in a female voice marking ten-second intervals, as well as possible minute announcements.  Signal weak but audible, clear Observatorio Nacional ID heard during a time check at 2343.  Heard under a stronger BPM and a customarily booming WWV.  SIO 222.  

I still can't believe my luck.  How in the world did I manage all these?  I didn't even have the loop with me!  My little DX-398 was as barefoot as can be, running on batteries alone.  Wow, says I.  

I did have one strange bit of audio sneak in there, though.  At 2341, every minute for at least two or three minutes after, someone on 10mHz send a short CW message too fast for me to copy yet.  It sounded like 'send all to' ... something.  I couldn't get everything, but I definitely heard a double L, to something, and possibly SH-something?  The CW was loud, as strong as BPM at its strongest, and varied in pitch from minute to minute; one time it was higher in tone, another lower, another slightly higher again.  This makes me wonder if it wasn't something official from a time signal, modulated from minute to minute the better to get the message across in rotten conditions.  Does anyone have a clue? 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2013, 0648 UTC by Chanter »
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns