We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissable in your locale.

Author Topic: Alaska AM DX 2022-2023  (Read 57 times)

Offline PaulBWalkerJr

• McGrath, Alaska, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
Alaska AM DX 2022-2023
« on: August 05, 2022, 1714 UTC »
I do SW in the spring and summer, but move to AM when it begins to stay dark late enough in the morning...... and today (Fri Aug 5th) I had to get up at an ass o clock time thats way earlier then Id like, but I was chompin at the bit to get some AM DX in.

My first log of the 2022-2023 AM DX Season is...............

the 5kw non directional 1107khz Tauranga relay of "Today FM" New Zealand. About 7000 miles give or take a few dozen miles. Not very strong, but between 1115 and 1200UTC, I had several understandable fade ups including a long snippet of "Danger Zone" by Kenny Loggins leading into news at 1200UTC.

1107kHz Tauranga, NZ isn't new or even uncommon for me. In early fall (which is what were really in, based on temps) through late fall and again in late winter, this signal whose tower is right near the water is a regular catch and sometimes, very good too.

I will use this thread to update everyone with my logs/catches and audio that I record of what I hear.

I use a CC Crane Skywave (non SSB model) and this antenna:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMDOETx4qcI
Paul B. Walker, Jr

Program Director, 89.5 KSKO McGrath, Alaska

www.kskopublicradio.com (We stream online, local programming 8-9a and 12noon to 4p weekdays, 7 to 9pm Fri.)

Personal Email: paul@alaskaradionerd.com

Online Pigmeat

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: Alaska AM DX 2022-2023
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2022, 2356 UTC »
Thanks Paul. Keep us updated.

I had a friend who was stuck at Dutch Harbor during a stint in the Air Force. He had long beverage and claimed to have picked up all sorts of trans-Pacific dx. I could understand his East Asian catches, he was nearly there, but when it came to the South Pacific, I thought he was full of it. If I ever run across the guy, I'll have to apologize to him.

Offline PaulBWalkerJr

• McGrath, Alaska, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2022, 0014 UTC »
Thanks Paul. Keep us updated.

I had a friend who was stuck at Dutch Harbor during a stint in the Air Force. He had long beverage and claimed to have picked up all sorts of trans-Pacific dx. I could understand his East Asian catches, he was nearly there, but when it came to the South Pacific, I thought he was full of it. If I ever run across the guy, I'll have to apologize to him.

I think some of the deep south pacific stuff like my 8000 mile log of 7ZR 936khz, 10kw from Hobart Tasmania, Aus might be over the pole stuff.

Paul B. Walker, Jr

www.kskopublicradio.com (We stream online, local programming 8-9a and 12noon to 4p weekdays, 7 to 9pm Fri.)

Offline PaulBWalkerJr

• McGrath, Alaska, USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2022, 0014 UTC »
NEW Log! KMBY 1240 Monterey, CA 1KW 24/7, the tower is right on the water, 2300 miles form my QTH. Heard between 315 and 405am AK Time with several classic hits songs. 
Paul B. Walker, Jr

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns