We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 75M AM HAM's at sunrise? Apparently...  (Read 915 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
75M AM HAM's at sunrise? Apparently...
« on: August 31, 2022, 1928 UTC »
When I don't want to fall asleep to a dull C2C AM show, I have have a 1989 Sangean ATS-803A portable as my bedside radio. And, with an extra 10ft of quick hook-up RG-174 coax, I can plug-in that radio to my W.O.G., (Wire On Ground.), antenna and reduce the crashes of lightning on MW and lower HF. This morning, just before 7AM EST, 3885AM was hopping with AM HAM's. Some strong signals and calls that I didn't recognize. So, if you're up at the crack of dawn, and it's not T-storming, check-out the AM'ers from 3875 - 3885kHz. That reminds me, the Collins Net should be coming back soon, like early October, and I have signed into that several times. Happy DX'ing...
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: 75M AM HAM's at sunrise? Apparently...
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 0728 UTC »
And don't forget as the Fall and Winter months set in there is some DX activity in the DX window on 80 meters. I don't remember the exact frequency -- it was low in the SSB section -- but I used to hear some high powered, US California kilowatt dudes working Europe via Long Path on 80 when the sunspots were cooperating.... i would 'piggyback' using my DX-440 and sometimes hear snippets of the Europeans responding, which was pretty cool. A couple years hence it should be active again, but then ya never know.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2022, 1818 UTC »
More, or less, centered just below 3800kHz LSB, like 3790 - 3799.5kHz, window for the 75M DX´ers. Oh... On Californian DX´ers, the AM´ers there seem to be centered around 3870kHz. I have heard them in there, but very faintly over the winter months.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2022, 1404 UTC »
I once heard a guy responding to the East Coast side of that logjam on 3870 on a Heathkit DX-60 barefoot from Lake Havesu City, AZ,just across the lake from Cali one morning. He wasn't loud by any means, but just about everyone could copy him.

You've got to be up at the right time to catch them.