We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Classic Hits on 1410AM at night? Who's that???  (Read 1139 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Classic Hits on 1410AM at night? Who's that???
« on: August 31, 2022, 1833 UTC »
With local 1410 WSCW still off-air where I am, since a truck hit and collapsed their tower, (OOOOPS!!!!), I've been trying to figure out what this classic hits station is on that FREQ after dark. I could never catch the damn ID, but the station has a very mid-FREQ audio response to it, like it's EQ'ed for talk and not music, but music is what's playing. Any clues??? THANKS!!!!
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
Re: Classic Hits on 1410AM at night? Who's that???
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2022, 1917 UTC »
Try Radio-Locator to narrow it down. That is my primary source of information for AM radio DXing.

https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/finder

There are only 68 entries in the US & Canada operating on 1410 kHz. That is a pretty good start.

01:00 UTC 01 SEPT 2022 - I am currently hearing several stations on frequency but the predominant one at this time is a French programming station, most likely CJWI, St Constant, QC.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2022, 0105 UTC by ~SIGINT~ »

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2022, 0048 UTC »
My guess would be WHLN AM 1410 Harlan KY.  Their format matches what you mention.
They only run 41 watts at night but have logged them in the past here in Michigan with
a good signal.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 0410 UTC »
03:30 UTC 02 SEPT 2022 - The predominant station continues to be the French programming station with Reggae / Haitian style music. From the ID, this is (CJWI) CPAM and the CPAM Internet stream did not match the on air broadcast.
04:07 UTC - English station took over the airwaves for a few minutes sounding like a news / talk show program. CPAM returned shortly after.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Classic Hits on 1410AM at night? Who's that??? WHLN!!!
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2022, 1805 UTC »
Got a partial ID in job transit. I clearly heard WHL?. Just could not pull-in that last letter. So, that KY station´s gotta´ be it. 41W at night? Huh... Kind of a short-skip to me, but it dominates 1410AM at night here. So, pinto vortando, looks like ya go it. https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/finder?sr=Y&s=C&call=whln&nav=home
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
Re: Classic Hits on 1410AM at night? Who's that??? WHLN!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2022, 1411 UTC »
Got a partial ID in job transit. I clearly heard WHL?. Just could not pull-in that last letter. So, that KY station´s gotta´ be it. 41W at night? Huh... Kind of a short-skip to me, but it dominates 1410AM at night here. So, pinto vortando, looks like ya go it. https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/finder?sr=Y&s=C&call=whln&nav=home

;)
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2022, 0101 UTC »
There's a change in the bedrock as you move from eastern KY west. It switches from sandstone to limestone on a line from Maysville south. Harlan lies near that line.

I used to be able to get a 20 some watt night timer from Horse Cave,KY. Horse Cave sets off of I-65 and is in that hilly limestone country.