We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Episode 7,841 Of Battling The RFI Demons  (Read 749 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Episode 7,841 Of Battling The RFI Demons
« on: September 04, 2022, 1711 UTC »
An RFI source appeared quite several months ago, as lots of rapid noise pulses, mostly on the higher end of HF. Very strong on the 11 meter (27 MHz) band. Yesterday I finally had the chance to investigate it.

I walked around the yard with a portable radio, the signal was generally weak, but then got stronger as I got closer to the house.

I checked inside, and it was strong on all the AC wiring/etc. Next I checked at the main panel, same thing, and even stronger on the coax cable for the modem & TVs.

I disconnected the incoming coax and it went away. Then I remembered this started about the time I got a new cable modem, or at least got worse at that time, when I switched to a faster modem.

This morning I checked the coax outside and noticed the wire (installed by the cable company) from the coax grounding block to the main ground rod at the power feed was very loose, barely making contact. Also it was a pretty small gauge wire. I removed it and lightly sanded where its wire clamp block attaches to the ground wire coming up off the ground rod and ran three beefy wires in parallel. The problem immediately went away.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

UncleJohn

Re: Episode 7,841 Of Battling The RFI Demons
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 2306 UTC »
Huh...fahgetaboutit...   ???
« Last Edit: September 07, 2022, 0017 UTC by UncleJohn »