We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: SDR Radio Help  (Read 4451 times)

Offline Loha101

• View Profile
SDR Radio Help
« on: February 24, 2013, 1748 UTC »
Hello, I am currently using the SDR-RADIO software by RF Space. I am not using any hardware whatsoever and am connecting to servers. Could anyone advise me on how to connect to numbers stations like UVB-76? Greatly appreciated.

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
Re: SDR Radio Help
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 1826 UTC »
UVB-76 is definitely a shortwave oddity, but not really a numbers station; it's more of a marker, beacon or pilot. It is not necessarily known to broadcast messages on a regular basis, though strange messages have been heard from it.

True numbers stations, on the other hand, exist for the purpose of transmitting encoded messages with regularity and there are a great variety of these types of stations. Some are voice, some are CW (morse code) and some yet might be other modes. A lot of work has gone into identifying the regularity and schedule of these transmissions and you can find some of that information here in our Numbers forum, or on #wunclub on IRC, or from a number of other resources.

Your SDR-Radio software, as you know, lets you connect to various internet-enabled radios where you can, from there, control the radio (tuning, mode, etc). Hearing UVB-76 (or any other signal) from these radios will vary widely, with propagation and time of day at the location of the remote receiver being the most significant variables. UVB-76 broadcasts at 4625 KHz. I'm assuming you are in one of the North American timezones and so in all likelihood you would be listening in the late afternoon or evening. Connecting to a remote receiver located in Europe might be your best bet for hearing UVB-76, though at times and depending on propagation a North American based receiver might hear this reasonably well, too.

Incidently, a VERY good European based SDR is available on the web at:

http://websdr.ewi.utwente.nl:8901/

The beauty of this receiver is that you do not need any special software... just a web browser with a Java plugin, which is fairly universal. I just connected to it (at about 1:30 PM Eastern time) and punched in 4625 KHz (also, switch the mode to AM) and sure enough, there is UVB-76 in all of its buzzing glory. By contrast, I am unable to hear this signal on the receivers that sit here on my desk, connected to large outdoor antennas. This is a (predictable) consequence of propagation. Signals on this frequency, transmitting from Europe during daylight in North America, are unlikely to be heard here. However, since it is likely dusk or dark in the Netherlands, where this receiver is located, I can hear it well using a remote receiver located there.

I'd expect to possibly hear this signal on my own receivers when nightfall reaches the east coast (I'm in Boston).

I hope this was helpful, and others are sure to chime in.

« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 1837 UTC by Beerus Maximus »
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline Loha101

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 1927 UTC »
Thanks :) Just typed in 4625Khz and there it was. Hopefully I will be able to get some hardware. What do I need? A radio, an antenna and what else?

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 2015 UTC »
For general purpose reception in the HF spectrum, yes, you need a radio and an antenna. Some higher-end radios might require an additional power supply. These are almost always 12VDC and readily available from the same suppliers as the radio. You don't need much else; those are the basic elements.

It's possible to spend anywhere from $50 to $5000 (or more!) on a radio for receiving HF. How much you choose to spend depends on your situation; what you want to hear, your level of interest in the hobby, and of course, how much cash you have lying around.

Some listeners you'll find here make do with a portable and a whip antenna, which might cost $50. Others have many thousands of dollars invested in the hobby. Truthfully, it's much easier to hear a variety of interesting things if you can make a reasonable investment in equipment and, most importantly, if you can erect an outdoor antenna. I happen to also be a ham radio operator, so I have two HF transceivers here in my radio room, and they work extremely well as general purpose HF receivers. My antennas are outdoor dipoles that I built myself. You don't need to be particularly handy or highly technically oriented to do the same (I'm a complete moron, rarely sober, etc). Some other bits and pieces are part of the equation; antenna switches, feedline, depending on the complexity of the situation.

Would you be able to deploy an outdoor antenna?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 2019 UTC by Beerus Maximus »
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline desmoface

• NE Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 2108 UTC »
I second what Beerus Maximus said.  You can have the greatest radio in the world, you won't hear anything without a good antenna.  But, HM01 is active right now (2106) on 11.635am - Numbers and Data, about s9+40 into NE Ohio.  As far as antenna's, I'm very happy with my horizontal 80 meter loop. Good luck.

Steve
« Last Edit: February 24, 2013, 2110 UTC by desmoface »
Kenwood TS-870SAT
Full Wave 80 Meter Horizontal Loop ~ 260 Ft Long
Pse qsl to Kb8viv @ yahoo . com
NE Ohio

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 2210 UTC »
Yes, you really do need a good antenna. I understand this can be a challenge for many, especially if you live in an area where outside antennas are frowned upon.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline nl12SDR

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2013, 1249 UTC »
The beauty of the webbased sdr Twente here is that its using the Mini whip antenna mounted on a real big metal roof ,amazing what this little wonder is receiving here .
since i have the whip antenna in the garden,from pa0rdt a Dutch radio amateur, the developer of this antenna. and its not working as the one on the roof of the Twente university
the big iron roof really makes a difference here.
Using a Perseus,Tmate and Welbrook ( FTW combo!)

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns