We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Do you think this would work?  (Read 3499 times)

Offline desmoface

• NE Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
Do you think this would work?
« on: February 27, 2013, 0312 UTC »
Hey everyone, I stumbled upon this video and started thinking tha this would work with my ts-870, as it has an i.f. Out (at 8.83, via an rca connector).  I downloaded the isdr app on my ipad, and it appears that all i'd have to do is get the camera kit, and the griffin i-mic.

My question is, am I feeding the if out into the i-mic, or audio from the rcvr?  Anyway, here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUHbPZztkiY

I notice that there arent many options to get the spectrum display for my imac, so this may be the next best thing.

Thanks for any advice.

Steve
Kenwood TS-870SAT
Full Wave 80 Meter Horizontal Loop ~ 260 Ft Long
Pse qsl to Kb8viv @ yahoo . com
NE Ohio

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Do you think this would work?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 1239 UTC »
I assume the Elecraft KX3 outputs an I/Q signal down in the audio range, which is why it works.

You can't feed an 8.83 MHz IF output into a sound card input. (Plus, it is not I/Q data) What you need to two is convert it to I/Q data at a lower frequency. I believe this may be what you're looking for: http://www.wu2x.com/sdr.html

BTW - The SdrDx app for Mac OS X does work with sound card SDRs, so you could use that, rather than the iPad. (But again, not with your RS-870)

SdrDx: http://fyngyrz.com/?p=915
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline desmoface

• NE Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 1338 UTC »
Hmm...It says you have to have a network server application, I'm not really sure what that is.  That does look pretty good, though.  I was hoping it would be an easy setup as I'm not really technically savy when it comes to puters.  I'm more of a plug and play type, LOL.

It appears that most of the software is for pc's, I prefer to stay with my mac.  Oh well, I'll keep researching a bit more.

Thanks for the info, Chris.

Steve
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 1346 UTC by desmoface »
Kenwood TS-870SAT
Full Wave 80 Meter Horizontal Loop ~ 260 Ft Long
Pse qsl to Kb8viv @ yahoo . com
NE Ohio

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 1408 UTC »
It appears that most of the software is for pc's, I prefer to stay with my mac.  Oh well, I'll keep researching a bit more.

SdrDx works great with the Mac, and with SDRs that follow the RF Space interface. (Also with sound card based SDRs and the FCD Fun Cube Dongle although I have not tried that)

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree