We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UNID 6925 USB 2257z  (Read 2671 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
UNID 6925 USB 2257z
« on: April 27, 2009, 0008 UTC »
Music, "Tiptoe Thru The Tulips", SSTV:

Can't make out an ID, if it is in the image.

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Seamus

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: UNID 6925 USB 2257z
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 0158 UTC »
Sounds like Radio Ga-Ga from around 23.45 to 00.10 or so on 6.925 USB.....?

At the beginning...or at least the beginning of what I could hear:

...followed by "Ballroom Blitz" and "Leave It To Beaver" theme.
Signal went into the mush for a while, but came back in fits and starts until I grabbed this SSTV image:

Then apparently either off, or back down into the static for the rest of the program.  Didn't get a lot else.

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 0625 UTC »
Heard three SSTV near top of hour (2350z), but no copy here, just noise on MMSSTV. Heard Tiny Tim "Tiptoe Through the Tulips" at 0001 UTC, but no ID audible. (N. Central TX)
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline rattusrattus

• Elsewhere
    • View Profile
    • DPRK news
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 0542 UTC »
What program do you use to get SSTV?
Receivers :  Yaesu FT 817nd  AOR AR 8600 MARK 2,  WinRadio 313e, Sony ICF 7600 GR, Uniden BC 780 XLT , Icom R2, Sony car shortwave radio w/ cassette deck, Freeplay Lifeline windup shortwave emergency radio.

Antennas: Par end fed SWL,(N/S) 60 foot long wire with MLB  (E/W) AOR LA 380 loop antenna.

Offline coastiedan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 1705 UTC »
There are many freebies out there...I use multipsk...it's a multi mode digital receiver software.
best to leave it running in background in sstv autosave mode.

Good luck and happy hunting!

coastiedan

Edit: got a version of MMSSTV and installed...better than (and easier) than MultiPSK...I stand corrected!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2009, 0416 UTC by coastiedan »
coastiedan
W1MKC
Rig: Yaesu FT-450D
and a few different webSDR's
ANT: 53' end fed sloper
LOC Eastern CT
  41°21'31.0"N 72°10'41.5"W

Offline Seamus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 2333 UTC »
What program do you use to get SSTV?
I have several programs that can send and receive SSTV signals, but for running in the background on the PC while listening, I usually use MMSSTV, available for free from the author.  It has a few quirks, but it's not a bad program and can handle almost all of the modes out there.  It's pretty quick to learn, though it really does help to read the instructions, get it properly calibrated on a known-good signal, etc.

For the people who are into the digital modes on the ham bands, there are quite a few programs that will do a large number of digital and fuzzy modes - including SSTV - in a single package.  Mixw is good for covering all of the bases in a single program, including some of the fairly obscure modes that I've never actually heard being used "in the wild", though it's got a $50 registration fee attached to it.

EDIT to add:  It's also been a while since I've really been active on the air with anything, let alone digital modes, so I haven't got a lot of experience with anything that's become available or been heavily updated in the last few years.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 2337 UTC by Seamus »