We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: KCJJ-1630 Iowa City to become "99 Plus" on Fri. March 1st (& May 10th)  (Read 2960 times)

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
From the dxld Yahoo! group:

Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:50 pm (PST) . Posted by: "Glenn Hauser" wghauser Well, for 9 hours, anyway...

At 3:00 p.m. Central Time [2100 UT] on March 1st, KCJJ will cease normal programming and will be taken over by "99 Plus". From 1973 until it signed off at 3:00 p.m. on March 1st, 1994, 99 Plus, under the call letters of KFMH, was an underground rock station based out of Muscatine, Iowa and served a large area of eastern Iowa and western Illinois. It was a station that didn't conform to the rules; they played anything and everything, and the most unique part about it is that it was ALL-request, 24/7. As a result, the station built up a fiercely devoted following, and when it signed off for the final time, over 500 people showed up at their studios to protest (to give you some idea of how much it is still missed, the recently-constructed Facebook page dedicated to 99 Plus has over 1100 likes; not bad for a station that's been silent for 19 years!).

In recent months, KFMH's former general manager, "Captain" Steve Bridges (the current GM and morning show co-host of KCJJ), who said for years that he would never bring the format of the Plus back again to any station, has warmed to the idea of resurrecting the Plus as an internet-only station. To operate it, however, he has stressed that it will take $20,000 for 1 year's worth of programming, and that the money would have to come from public contributions. Since Bridges made the announcement in January, he has raised over half of the total required. Friday's temporary switchover will essentially serve as a fund-raiser to try to rake in the rest, and will feature many of the same DJs that were an important part of 99 Plus back in the day. At Midnight local time, the carriage will turn back into a pumpkin (IMHO), but it's hoped that the interest generated by this will help to bring back 99 Plus on a permanent basis online. The audio from these 9 hours
will not only be broadcast on 1630 AM, but will also be streamed on KCJJ's website:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/kcjj-raw

And you can find out more about 99 Plus here:

https://www.facebook.com/ThePlusPirateRadio

I hope you'll be able to check out KCJJ's webstream at some point during these 9 hours and get a taste of what I so enjoyed listening to during my years in eastern Iowa in the late 1980s and early 1990s. :)

73, (Rick Dau (a proponent of free-form radio), South Omaha, Nebraska, Feb 27, ABDX via DXLD)

So would they rename it 1630 plus?? KCJJ`s normal format is both talk and AC, per NRC AM Log. In DXLD 12-48 we had reports about it dropping AM stereo (gh, DXLD)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 2330 UTC by Kilokat7 »
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
Re: KCJJ-1630 Iowa City to become "99 Plus" on Fri. March 1st
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013, 0219 UTC »
Thanks skeezix, this show is doing a fine job of filling the void tonight :-)
PLS QSL kilokat7(at)gmail.com
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
1980s pirate off-air archive
West Michigan DX

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
West Michigan DX

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2013, 2223 UTC »
Thought I started recording when they were coming in well... only to discover around 0300Z that it wasn't. Had stopped & restarted it a few times as it was hit or miss around sunset. Apparently got distracted. Got the last couple of hours.  >:(

They raised more than their goal and the program was done at 0500Z.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 2329 UTC »
They are doing it again right now.  From another list:

At 3:00 p.m. Central Time on May 10th, KCJJ will cease normal programming and will be taken over by "99 Plus KFMH", just as it was during the fundraiser to bring back KFMH on March 1st.  THIS time, however, it will last a full 24 hours.  The new KFMH is an internet-only station and will incorporate the same free-form (no playlists here, folks!!) rock, blues, and jazz format that it did as an FM station from 1973 to 1994.  There are two ways on the internet that you will be able to listen to this simulcast:

http://player.tritondigital.com/14321
    http://www.ustream.tv/channel/kcjj-raw  

And you can find out more about 99 Plus here:

https://www.facebook.com/ThePlusPirateRadio

I hope you'll be able to check out KCJJ's webstream at some point during these 24 hours and get a taste of what I so enjoyed listening to during my years in eastern Iowa in the late 1980s and early 1990s.  :)

Rick Dau (a proponent of free-form radio)
South Omaha, Nebraska
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
West Michigan DX

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
Wow, glad I caught this post!  I'll be tuning in tonight.  KCJJ is usually loud and clear for me here, given my location. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns