We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UNID QSO Italian dialect 3460 USB and 3516 USB  (Read 919 times)

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
UNID QSO Italian dialect 3460 USB and 3516 USB
« on: September 30, 2022, 2021 UTC »
30 Sept 2022
0700 UTC
3460 USB and 3516 USB
QSO in language similar to Italian and French, maybe Corsican or Sardo? Some words, such as
frequenza, sounded like familiar Italian, but others were unfamiliar to me. But I haven't studied Italian since grade school. After listening to a few YouTube demo videos on Corsican and Sardinian languages, I'm guessing these were QSOs between Mediterranean ships.

Very crashy conditions, tough copy via every web SDR I tried in the US and Europe. Twente was less crashy but very high RFI made clear copy difficult.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: UNID QSO Italian dialect 3460 USB and 3516 USB
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 1919 UTC »
These guys are probably speaking to each other in words they all get the meaning of. We're a continental country, I think sometimes we forget how close these countries are and how the languages overlap?

It could have been Occitan, the language of southern 1/3 of France, adjoining parts of Italy, and a small part of Spain. It's spoken in Corsica, but I don't know how widely.

The craziest experience I ever had with language was at a party a couple of Nigerian friends were having in college. I didn't have a clue what anyone was saying until I heard the words "fuel pump" and it struck me they were speaking English, but emphasizing syllables in ways we and other English speakers normally don't, while talking really fast. It was an enlightening experience.

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2022, 0311 UTC »
The craziest experience I ever had with language was at a party a couple of Nigerian friends were having in college. I didn't have a clue what anyone was saying until I heard the words "fuel pump" and it struck me they were speaking English, but emphasizing syllables in ways we and other English speakers normally don't, while talking really fast. It was an enlightening experience.

I've had the same experience listening to some Texans. And I'm from here.  :o
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2022, 1348 UTC »