We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: AM and FM are being eliminated from the dash of all cars within five years  (Read 4056 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
"AM and FM are being eliminated from the dash of two car companies within two years and will be eliminated from the dash of all cars within five years"

http://www.radioink.com/Article.asp?id=2626719&spid=24698
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
I'm sure the NAB isn't very happy about that prospect.  There's still an awful lot of money invested in FM radio alone. And, how much do you wanna bet that there will be a big aftermarket for AM-FM radios?

Also, like the article mentions -- what about emergencies, when the internet and cell service goes down? 

For example, here in the PNW we have a big earthquake issue.  Cell, mobile, etc. will undoubtedly go down like a rock when the big one hits.  Local city and community emergency preparedness programs take into account the fact that cell and mobile internet service will probably be down when the big one hits.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Fansome

I was in Redwood City, on the SF peninsula, when the Loma Prieta quake hit. Every station, AM, FM, and TV, went off the air immediately. However, the local AM station came back up within hours, even though their big antenna towers had crumpled to the ground. Apparently they had a backup transmitter site. It was certainly reassuring to be able to listen to the news on the car radio right after the quake, as phone service was spotty, and power was out in many places for hours or days.

I'm sure the NAB isn't very happy about that prospect.  There's still an awful lot of money invested in FM radio alone. And, how much do you wanna bet that there will be a big aftermarket for AM-FM radios?

Also, like the article mentions -- what about emergencies, when the internet and cell service goes down? 

For example, here in the PNW we have a big earthquake issue.  Cell, mobile, etc. will undoubtedly go down like a rock when the big one hits.  Local city and community emergency preparedness programs take into account the fact that cell and mobile internet service will probably be down when the big one hits.

Offline diymedia

• View Profile
    • Email
I'm incredibly skeptical of this pronouncement. I'll believe it when I see some hard data.

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
I work in the automotive industry with the manufactures. I posed this question to some of the audio group engineers. All of the ones I asked kind of snickered and said they doubt that. At least in the time frame given. A couple said they heard similar comments through audio automotive groups but again stated there is no evidence "we're" aware of to back that up. Again I can only comment on what I've been told. Personally, who knows??

P.S. I posed this question yesterday after reading this in several emails I sent out.
Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole
-Brian--North of Detroit--MI-
1710/KHz the MW Pirate Clear Channel (not so much anymore "sigh")

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
Given that AM/FM receivers can now be implemented with just a single IC and a couple other components, and that these parts are extremely cheap and ubiquitous, I don't really see this happening any time soon either.

http://www.silabs.com/products/audiovideo/amfmreceivers/Pages/si473435.aspx

# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Given that AM/FM receivers can now be implemented with just a single IC and a couple other components, and that these parts are extremely cheap and ubiquitous, I don't really see this happening any time soon either.

I see it less as cost savings, and more as payola from the satellite radio folks. Much like how developers will get a kickback from the cable company to pre-wire the neighborhood, and then insert a blanket ban against outdoor TV antennas into the HOA agreement.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
I both seriously doubt and sincerely hope that this won't be happening any time soon.  Here in the Midwest, for instance, there are both snowstorm/icestorm and tornado conditions to think about, disaster preparedness-wise.  AM and FM have proved invaluable in those situations, especially the latter.  I can't honestly see either of them vanishing from cars, kickbacks from satellite radio companies or no. 

*crosses fingers anyway* 

This reads like more of the same rubbish meant to explain away cuts in shortwave.  Oooooh, the Internet and satellite will always be there.  Guess what?  Not everyone's that 'lucky', quotes included intentionally, or cares to be. 

Beg pardon, folks.  I'll get off my soapbox now.  *thump* as my feet hit the floor. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
Not only is everyone not that lucky. During a large real disaster (war, natural, other), these systems will fail in short order for the reasons mentioned. Radio will still be there.
Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole
-Brian--North of Detroit--MI-
1710/KHz the MW Pirate Clear Channel (not so much anymore "sigh")

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Not only is everyone not that lucky. During a large real disaster (war, natural, other), these systems will fail in short order for the reasons mentioned. Radio will still be there.

I agree completely. This is another reason I'm against changing AM and FM from analog to digital. As the change to digital TV showed, all it does is reduce the reception range.

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
I suppose people like us have all the more reason to keep the torch burning now, you know?  Would that we didn't, but we do. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

cmradio

Good!

First thing I do when I get a car anyway is turf the radio into the parts box and add my own audio gear 8)
(you should have seen one dealer's expression when I told him their brand new Alpine system became a donor to get a CB radio going again)

Peace!

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Recently, removed the stock AM/FM radio from my car and put in a Sony AM/FM/SW radio. Sure is nice listening to SW. Even got a pirate on it.  ;D
Minneapolis, MN