We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Made some Korean BBQ with liver and kidneys...  (Read 1262 times)

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
Made some Korean BBQ with liver and kidneys...
« on: October 27, 2022, 0026 UTC »
...it was just offal.  :P  :-X

Seriously, though, I enjoy liver. But it's hard to cook the p!ss out of kidneys. I've tried a few methods but as soon as it starts cooking it smells like I need to clean the cats' litterboxes. I hoped the pungent Korean and Thai seasonings would mask some of the eau du pissoir, but nope.

On the plus side, I buy it from the Mexican grocer that doesn't pretend to guarantee the meat is free of added hormones. At my age I'll take all the PEDs I can get through food. Maybe it's a placebo effect, but I usually feel more energetic during jogging and cycling workouts for a day or so after eating these mystery-source livers and kidneys.

And it's popular among athletes who test positive for PEDs to blame it on the offal burritos off the food truck, or eating bison or boar meat.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: Made some Korean BBQ with liver and kidneys...
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2022, 1822 UTC »
I tried frying potatoes in beef tallow (the onetime secret behind McDonald's once-awesome french fries until vegetarians put up a stink and they switched to vegetable oil), and that stuff smells awful (or offal, as you said, hehe) when it's hot. Duck fat works much better anyway.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2022, 0338 UTC »
I usually avoid white potatoes and French Fries, and prefer sweet potatoes. But recently I found some studies by sports researchers for pro cyclists and runners that indicate the high glycemic index of white potatoes may be useful for athletes in quickly refueling after they become glycogen depleted during competition or hard workouts. Most of us who cycle or run seriously tend to lean on sugary stuff and gels for refueling. But sometimes I get tired of sweet stuff.

Next time I feel bonky I might grab a bag of chips from the convenience store and try that for go-fuel.

Regarding the kidney problem, apparently some chefs recommend milk rather than brine to remove the urine odor and flavor. I might try that next time. Although I haven't found any kidneys the past couple of visits to the Mexican grocer. Even proper thick cuts of beef liver were missing. I had to settle for these thinly sliced flash frozen cuts of liver, which are okay with eggs for breakfast as an alternative to bacon or sausage.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2022, 1226 UTC »
As an alternative to potatoes, I have had passable results using jicama to make fries, baked in the oven. If you dump enough seasonings on them, and some malt vinegar, you can (sort of) pretend they are fries.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree