We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: QSLing reception heard over remote web receivers.  (Read 2163 times)

Offline BBR

• Sleepy Hollow, NY
  • Alternative Dance Remixes and Electro-Rock
    • View Profile
    • Email
QSLing reception heard over remote web receivers.
« on: March 18, 2013, 1755 UTC »
I just received a report from a Japanese DXer who claimed to have heard Boom Box Radio over a Dutch web receiver.  Well, in this case it was impossible as I was not even home at the time of his log, but even if it was BBR he heard, I told him it is our policy only to QSL direct reception.
I would be interested in any other ops out there if they agree or disagree with my policy on web receiver reception.
DJ LT

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
Re: QSLing reception heard over remote web receivers.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 1904 UTC »
It is certainly up to the individual operator to make their own policy on this, so I won't "agree or disagree" with what you are doing.

I tend to care more whether I was "listened to", regardless of the receiver used or where it was located, and make  :D happy listeners.  Hence, The Crystal Ship has been QSLing reception over web-based receivers.

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline Jolly Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 2030 UTC »
I agree with JP. I used to give cards to anyone that wanted one; obviously if they wanted a full data, signed card they had to provide an accurate report. I mean, if all they want is a card it's easy enough to print one off from all of the ones posted on the web.
Please QSL to MaplRadio@gmail.com

Next weeks contest: guess how many Volkswagons can fit in Joy Behars mouth. I pick five.

If Rosie O'Donnell jumps in the water Rosie doesn't get wet, the water gets ugly.

Icom R9000 (yes, a R9000!)
Pixel magnetic loop

Offline BBR

• Sleepy Hollow, NY
  • Alternative Dance Remixes and Electro-Rock
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 2055 UTC »
Thanks Gents, for chiming in.... I guess in the pirate QSL world it really doesn't matter where
you heard the station.... I guess I'm thinking more about qualifying for country awards in the SWBC  world where
someone who needed Bhutan to get his 200th country verified "cheated" by using a web receiver.
In our case.... it doesn't really matter as long as the report is accurate... LT

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 2158 UTC »
My take as a listener: It's obviously up to the station as to whether or not to issue a QSL. If the listener accurately provides the location of the receiver used, then the report is of value to the station for reception/propagation purposes. if the listener lies, well, the QSL should have no value to them.

In my case, while I will sometimes listen on a web radio to help determine what i am hearing (such as the Web SDR in .nl), I don't send reception reports for stations I've heard on a web radio.  I understand the use of web radios to hear stations that are otherwise impossible at your location, but for me, the thrill is trying to pick up stations here at my location.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline RRS

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 1104 UTC »
We don't have a problem issuing a QSL  for a web receiver reception but we will make a notation on the card indicating that is was a web receiver reception.

rdla4

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2013, 2325 UTC »
I dont send reports from Web based receivers. All QSLs I have are heard here, or within 25 miles of my house.

Offline Echo_One

• Group W Bench
  • Classified
  • Onwards, Ever Striding Onwards
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2013, 1620 UTC »
Echo One sends QSLs for both types of reception, but only does the remote reception for listeners who could otherwise not hear it in the first place.
Echo One - Bringing An English Eccentricity To The Air Waves

reportecho1@gmail.com