We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Radio Havana Cuba  (Read 1145 times)

Offline RAH

• South central Ohio
    • View Profile
Radio Havana Cuba
« on: November 10, 2022, 1504 UTC »
Radio Havana Cuba on 29.130 MHZ AM
Music and talk, S-9 in Ohio
Low quality audio, possibly being retransmitted by bootlegger?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2022, 1517 UTC by RAH »
South Central Ohio
Flex 6400M, SmartSDR, MFJ 998RT, 160 meter loop

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • 2 of our 4 food groups in Durham CT - Play ball!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Radio Havana Cuba
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2022, 1535 UTC »

I think I have your answer.  I thought it would be unusual for someone to relay the ubiquitous RHC.  RHC is transmitting on 9710 AM now.  The third harmonic of that (3 X 9710) would be 29130.  I'm not hearing anything on 9710, nor 29130 but 15140 is coming in very well.  BTW - welcome to the board.
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline RAH

• South central Ohio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2022, 1545 UTC »
Thanks for the info, 3rd harmonic makes sense. It is gone now. I have heard this before a few times in the past.
 Amazing propagation on 10 meters and up probably has something to do with it. :)
South Central Ohio
Flex 6400M, SmartSDR, MFJ 998RT, 160 meter loop

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2022, 1836 UTC »
Bootleggers and pot growers in that part of Ohio still use CB. They've made Vinton and Meigs Counties the garden spots of Ohio since the mid-60's. It's still too lightly populated to support decent cell service.

I've got relatives all over that region. I've heard RHC on 29130 there when they're beaming a lot of power north and conditions are right, so don't be surprised. I first heard them there as a teen in Athens County and thought they were a STL for Ohio's superb public broadcasting network?(I'm not being a wise guy for once. Public radio does a fantastic job in Ohio of getting news and entertainment out to the rural parts of the state.)

Tell the folks at RHC the folks in Rutland say, "Hey!". It's a weird place and I 'm not talking about Havana. 

Offline shadypyro

• Port Alberni British Columbia Canada
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 0306 UTC »
Also I noticed RHC is not on 5040 AM and 6060 and other frequencies, wonder why?
Tecsun PL-880, MLA-30 plus loop antenna. Various sdrs.

Please eQSL to deserthawk1990@hotmail.com

Offline Shortwave_Listener

• DXing Phenomena
  • British Columbia, Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Shortwave Listener
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2022, 0420 UTC »
I just happened to tune into the mailbag program at 0346 UTC on 6000 kHz. I actually like listening to the mailbag program, but I could not find its schedule. They said the next mailbag program will be next week. Now I finally know the schedule (I think). 0300-0400 UTC 6000 kHz on Mondays (UTC).
Lucas Bandura
eQSL appreciated! lucasnerite@gmail.com
Songs are identified with Shazam if needed. I usually use KiwiSDR receivers. Reception from my QTH is using an SDRPlay RSP1A for SWL with a 40 meter band Inverted V at 40 feet. Kenwood TS-570D for ham use.
My website: https://swl7.wordpress.com/
Shortwave Radio Archive: https://www.youtube.com/@SW_Archive
https://archive.org/details/@shortwave_radio_archive

Offline Kenotic

• Minnesota
  • Remember 7415 Pirates? Anyone? Anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2022, 0505 UTC »
Also I noticed RHC is not on 5040 AM and 6060 and other frequencies, wonder why?

Theory for awhile is that there been considerable power outages on the island since the hurricane. It sounds like they got their RHC stuff up first, but they sacked their Energy Minister after unrest in October and what little news comes out suggests it's still a mess.

Most reception on Eton Executive + YouLoop unless said otherwise

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2022, 0514 UTC »
RHC has been on 6000 khz. since Fidel and Arnie were transmitting from the Sierra Maestra during the Revolution.

I wonder if they used Arnie's bamboo antenna mast idea's to get back on the air after Ian flattened half the country?

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2022, 1725 UTC »
Last I saw, Radio Rebelde at 5025 wasn't back online either, and it's been a while since I've seen Radio Progreso 4765 either. But it's been about a week since I looked for it.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Shortwave_Listener

• DXing Phenomena
  • British Columbia, Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Shortwave Listener
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2022, 2352 UTC »
Last I saw, Radio Rebelde at 5025 wasn't back online either, and it's been a while since I've seen Radio Progreso 4765 either. But it's been about a week since I looked for it.

I heard Radio Progreso last night on 4765 kHz.
Lucas Bandura
eQSL appreciated! lucasnerite@gmail.com
Songs are identified with Shazam if needed. I usually use KiwiSDR receivers. Reception from my QTH is using an SDRPlay RSP1A for SWL with a 40 meter band Inverted V at 40 feet. Kenwood TS-570D for ham use.
My website: https://swl7.wordpress.com/
Shortwave Radio Archive: https://www.youtube.com/@SW_Archive
https://archive.org/details/@shortwave_radio_archive

Offline Kenotic

• Minnesota
  • Remember 7415 Pirates? Anyone? Anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2022, 1411 UTC »
Yes, Radio Progreso has been back -- I logged it on here a few weeks ago. Heard it last Sunday night, albeit not terribly strong.

I've heard 5040kHz off and on with what I assume is RHC. Not as strong as it was pre-hurricane unfortunately.

The Cuban music is always fun at night, so I really miss Radio Rebelde. RHC has some music too, but they certainly like to ramble on and on before they get to it.

At least Cuba's got good music for an oppressive communist regime -- all of the fun of listening to North Korea is purely unintentional.
Most reception on Eton Executive + YouLoop unless said otherwise

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2022, 1632 UTC »
Good to know about Radio Progreso. It has a funky schedule that I tend to miss when it's on because it doesn't jibe with my normal listening time.

At least Rebelde's absence allows one to try to DX Radio Quillabamba, but my own results haven't been worth reporting.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail