We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Simple and better circuit for MiniWhip antennas?  (Read 1623 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Simple and better circuit for MiniWhip antennas?
« on: December 20, 2022, 1812 UTC »
Boomer FWR this to me. Looks easy enough, and if I was stuck as an apartment dweller, IŽd build and try it. http://www.pa3fwm.nl/projects/miniwhip/
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
Re: Simple and better circuit for MiniWhip antennas?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2023, 0025 UTC »
Or you could purchase a kit or per-assembled version manufactured in North America for a very reasonable price.

https://ontars.com/whip_kit/index.html

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2023, 0237 UTC »
Is this the antenna he has in the bread bag up the tree, Mister Dood?

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2023, 0312 UTC »
BTW, I was in contact with the guy's at the University of Twente when they first got their SDR up and running, I'd never heard of one of the things. One of the guy's was interested in the Grenade transmitter, he'd seen an online schematic. I gave him a few parts corrections from Boomer's hand drawn schematic and he built one. He was the first person I encountered that realized it was a Class-E device.

I'd hit him with an email when I was heading out to transmit and while he never got any audio, he could point out the carrier every time, which amazed me as you know how low powered the things were. I don't know what kind of antenna they were using then.

He used his Grenade for short-lived pirate station until he graduated. I hope it's still in use somewhere.

Offline Quinta

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2023, 2349 UTC »
Active loops should work better, because they almost not catch common mode noises. In my case when i install chinese mini-whip on window i can hear only very powerful stations, MLA-30 in the same place work beautiful. I hear amateurs, pirates, HF RDARA, HFDL signals from planes over China, while i live near Finland.

Offline Quinta

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2023, 1201 UTC »
But i should say what mini-whip is reduced variant of active whip for HF, like RFT KAA-1000 which was used by Bundeswehr in 80-s.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2023, 1209 UTC by Quinta »

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns