We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: January VHF / UHF Sweepsteaks, then Winter Field Day 2023!  (Read 841 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
January VHF / UHF Sweepsteaks, then Winter Field Day 2023!
« on: January 08, 2023, 1906 UTC »
Uh-huh... Tis that time for this one:  http://www.arrl.org/january-vhf    Lack of foliage helps out on 2M, on up, to get out. And, maybe 6M F2 this year. Then, the following week:   https://www.winterfieldday.com/    Now, the question is whether those Southern T-storms will settle down by then, and not rip-up the lower HF bands with crashes at night. And then, AM Rally:   http://www.amrally.com/
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Grinch

• View Profile
Re: January VHF / UHF Sweepsteaks, then Winter Field Day 2023!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 2046 UTC »
Please report any activity you hear on VHF. I'm not really set-up for 2M SSB, but have been listening on my RSP receiver with a vertical (Not great) Hearing one CW beacon about 25 miles from my QTH. Nothing on 6M at all using my HF rig.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: January VHF / UHF Sweepsteaks, then Winter Field Day 2023!
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2023, 1935 UTC »
I had to work through the weekend, so no contesting for me, even on the FM Simplex FREQ's. A couple of years ago, I did hear a Big-Gun VHF Contester from Maryland on 2M SSB off of my Discone. Not strong, but still heard him, from +200 miles away. And, that's being down in the bottom of this river valley. So, you just never know. I might have to bow-out of Winter Field Day next weekend, but it should be as much fun as Summer Field Day, and everyone worked is a point added.   
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.