We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Will SSB Radio Return To The US Naval Academy? HAM FREQ´s involved.  (Read 1200 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
I´ve 1st seen this from SWL´ing, but a friend of mine FWR the direct link.   https://gcaptain.com/will-ssb-radio-return-to-the-us-naval-academy/
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
Re: Will SSB Radio Return To The US Naval Academy? HAM FREQ´s involved.
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2023, 2308 UTC »
I have been know to set a receiver on 14300 for background noise. The MMSN is often mostly check-ins and marine weather reports, but that means operators are on frequency and hopefully listening for emergency traffic if/when needed.

It is kind of annoying when a contester or occasional QRMer parks like 1.5KHz away or even right on 14300. The MMSN has no priority over other comms other than actively holding the frequency when there is no actual emergency traffic, but I still tend to think of it as an emergency resource instead of the often typical more casual amateur net.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline Polar Bear

• View Profile
Actually 14.300 serves no legitimate purpose.
Just a bunch of cb'rs that are too scared to call cq and actually make a qso.
So they hang out on one frequency, thank the net control station for being there, because it gave them one person they could work without having to physically exert themselves and then they can blabber about how great their radio equipment is, how loud the net control station is, how glad they are that someone is monitoring the frequency all the time.
The maritime people doesn't even consider 14.300 MHz to be of any service to them, unless all other forms of communications has failed.
And I doubt that any rich person that owns a boat but does not hold an amateur radio license is going to waste precious resources on a quality HF amateur radio when that money could be spent on a new cell phone or a sat phone that gives them global communications both night and day.
We are just kidding ourselves if we think that some person sitting in his hamshack in OHIO is going to rescue someone in the INDIAN OCEAN.

Offline Shortwave_Listener

• DXing Phenomena
  • British Columbia, Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Shortwave Listener
Actually 14.300 serves no legitimate purpose.
Just a bunch of cb'rs that are too scared to call cq and actually make a qso.
So they hang out on one frequency, thank the net control station for being there, because it gave them one person they could work without having to physically exert themselves and then they can blabber about how great their radio equipment is, how loud the net control station is, how glad they are that someone is monitoring the frequency all the time.
The maritime people doesn't even consider 14.300 MHz to be of any service to them, unless all other forms of communications has failed.
And I doubt that any rich person that owns a boat but does not hold an amateur radio license is going to waste precious resources on a quality HF amateur radio when that money could be spent on a new cell phone or a sat phone that gives them global communications both night and day.
We are just kidding ourselves if we think that some person sitting in his hamshack in OHIO is going to rescue someone in the INDIAN OCEAN.

You sure complain a lot.
Lucas Bandura
eQSL appreciated! lucasnerite@gmail.com
Songs are identified with Shazam if needed. I usually use KiwiSDR receivers. Reception from my QTH is using an SDRPlay RSP1A for SWL with a 40 meter band Inverted V at 40 feet. Kenwood TS-570D for ham use.
My website: https://swl7.wordpress.com/
Shortwave Radio Archive: https://www.youtube.com/@SW_Archive
https://archive.org/details/@shortwave_radio_archive