We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Firedrake changing habits or reduced use?  (Read 10215 times)

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: Firedrake changing habits or reduced use?
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2013, 1227 UTC »
Since I started tuning the HF bands again this year (when MW DX started petering out over the past month or so) I have yet to hear Firedrake.  If it's been on, it's been when I wasn't tuning the bands.  Although, I don't tune the high SW bands -- mainly 60 meters through 21 meters. 
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2013, 0110 UTC »
It may be gone from shortwave, but all is not lost. Its still available in studio quality from:
http://www.satdirectory.com/firedrake.html
Minneapolis, MN

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2013, 2010 UTC »
I saw this on GH's yahoo group

15605, Firedrake music jamming, 0331 and 0347, June 3 with fair reception. Aoki just lists “Firedrake” at this time with no indication of who it is directed at? Not heard at 0402 (Ron Howard, Asilomar State Beach, CA, Etón E1, dxldyg via DX LISTENING DIGEST)

Have to look for this one
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 2100 UTC »
This morning Firedrake was active on 11825 kHz from 1100 to after 1215 UTC (had to leave for work at that time).  Also heard on freq was the Echo CNR 1 jammer.  I suspec they were jamming VOA in Chinese.  No other Fredrakes found here during that time period, and I did look ;)

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2013, 0802 UTC »
Heard Firedrake on my '440 tonight in the 21 meter band -- 13790 khz, 0649 UTC when I tuned in. Was off during recheck at 0703.  Signal was SIO 444; was on top of an unreadable, faint signal.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2013, 0823 UTC by BoomboxDX »

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2013, 1335 UTC »
There has been a definite change in operating habits for the Firedrake, but it does still appear to be in very limited use.

Firedrake does appear to still exist, but at greatly reduced activity.  Prior to April 19 it was common to see it on 8 to 18 frequencies at any one time.  For the past month I have never seen more than 2 transmissions simultaneously, and often only 1.  And even that seems to happen fewer times a day than past Firedrake activities.

Today at 1125 UTC I found Firedrake hitting Radio Taiwan Int. on two frequencies, 9680 and 7385 kHz.  On both frequencies not only Firedrake was hitting RTI but also the CNR 1 audio jammer was hitting both of those freqs.

T!
T!

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2013, 1419 UTC »
I have heard on a few frequencies CNR1 & a noise jammer on SOH. I don't remember the frequencies though, I am trying to get back into the habit of keeping a written log. Is it just me or does it seem like the Chicomms are putting in an incredible amount of effort to jam a pretty low power broadcast. They must really, really hate sound of hope. It is a falun gong thing ,isn't it? I guess that explains it.
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  

Offline Echo_One

• Group W Bench
  • Classified
  • Onwards, Ever Striding Onwards
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2013, 0156 UTC »
Haven't heard the Firedrake for over a month. Not even once since my last logging on HFU, yet, I still check frequently.

Perhaps a SW pirate can pick up where they left off and broadcast Firedrake on 43m.  ??? 

Alright, I shall see what i can do
Echo One - Bringing An English Eccentricity To The Air Waves

reportecho1@gmail.com

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2013, 1213 UTC »
I heard Firedrake again last night (6/9 UTC) on 13790 khz, 0655z.  Looks like it may have been used to jam Radio Free Asia.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2013, 2352 UTC »
Looks like I need to get off my duff and start hunting the elusive Firedrake.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2013, 0003 UTC »
me too,Skeezix. I keep seeing logs of FD in dx listening digest but I  haven't looked for it except for the occasional check via Twente. I hang my head in shame.

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2013, 1358 UTC »
Got word from Antonio EA5GTI on june 10: "Now on 16.920 khz Firedrake Jammer with some fadding but readable." not sure of the time tho.

So the Firedrake is still out there...

73 Vince KA1IIC
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2013, 2046 UTC »
Got word from Antonio EA5GTI on june 10: "Now on 16.920 khz Firedrake Jammer with some fadding but readable." not sure of the time tho.

So the Firedrake is still out there...

73 Vince KA1IIC

It is on air every day, but at a greatly reduced rate form before April 20, 2013.

T!
T!

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2013, 2252 UTC »
I heard "the Drake" twice today  13795 at 12:00z on a doggy dx walk & now (at 22:45z) on 15600.

I wonder who they were attempting to jam on 15600 at 21-23 utc. RFA is on that frequency for 2 hours a week in Tibetan. Do the Chicomms jam frequencies like Cuba does, covering possible & former offending frequencies? for most of the time FD was on 15600 there wasn't anything else there. FEBC was on in Burmese for the last 1/2 hour of FD's occupancy of the channel but that was all.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 0039 UTC by glimmer twin »

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2013, 0729 UTC »
I heard Firedrake tonight for the first time in a few days.  Some Chinese opera music playing alone on 15425 khz., 0211 UTC (7/01).  I couldn't make out anything behind it, so if it was jamming anything, the signals of the jammed station weren't making it across the Pacific.

The last two or three times I've tuned into Firedrake, the music has been different.

Last year, any time I tuned in to Firedrake, it would always be that really fast, noisy, rollicking opera music, with no breaks. 

The past two times, I tuned in when there was little going on musically at all -- just a woman singing a bit, maybe a couple hits on the gong and a few notes on the stringed instruments -- like a lull in the opera.  Then, after a bit, it picks up again.  But last year it seemed I'd never hear the soft parts playing.

It might have been I just hadn't tuned in during those times.

I wonder if they're using a different recording?

Back in the late 70's and early 80's, I'd hear the softer parts a lot when tuning into that signal.  Back then, I thought it was legit Chinese broadcasts for the Chinese people.  After all, it's Chinese opera music.  I used to leave it playing while studying.