We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Help to identify US Fire/EMS -stations 33-34 MHz?  (Read 674 times)

Offline Harriku

• View Profile
    • Email
Help to identify US Fire/EMS -stations 33-34 MHz?
« on: February 12, 2023, 1640 UTC »
Hello from Finland.

F2 is now giving Fire-/EMS-signals from US East Coast to Finland between 33 - 34 MHz. I can hear those EMS-/Fire stations every day aroud 15utc for about 2h period.
I heard those already 10 years ago but I have lost my data and knowledge.

All stations skips from around 6-7 states from 6200 - 6800 km distance around New York.

1) What is the best source and way to make searches by frequency / state?
In these searches the only thing I know at the start is frequency.
Then I can hear and understand some city- and streetnames and possibly quick callsign ids.

2) Is there a subtone -data available? (=What station is using certain subtone signal)

3) What is  the best and realiable software to id and convert subtone frequency?

4) Anybody willing to help to ID these stations from audiofiles?

Harri
Naantali
SW Finland

Offline prldx

• View Profile
Re: Help to identify US Fire/EMS -stations 33-34 MHz?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2023, 1701 UTC »
Hi Harri,

Hello from Finland.

F2 is now giving Fire-/EMS-signals from US East Coast to Finland between 33 - 34 MHz. I can hear those EMS-/Fire stations every day aroud 15utc for about 2h period.
I heard those already 10 years ago but I have lost my data and knowledge.

All stations skips from around 6-7 states from 6200 - 6800 km distance around New York.

1) What is the best source and way to make searches by frequency / state?
In these searches the only thing I know at the start is frequency.
Then I can hear and understand some city- and streetnames and possibly quick callsign ids.

FCC database search:
https://wireless2.fcc.gov/UlsApp/UlsSearch/searchAdvanced.jsp;JSESSIONID_ULSSEARCH=GVrFjphThqBZFrBLBGDVj4M61RL8PcXy1qYBJ1QcQmVwtH5r5JMg!-972157754!-1703792801

Patrick
Rx: AR7030 / Perseus
Ant: MK-1

"Radio was an exciting new invention that made it possible to hear other people´s voices in your living room without the use of thin walls or a devastating mental condition" (Cunk on Britain Ep 4)

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
Re: Help to identify US Fire/EMS -stations 33-34 MHz?
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 1217 UTC »
The FCC DB is a good place to start.  Also check out the current 2023 VHF low band skip logs thread on RadioReference.  There is a lot of confirmed information there (including things like callsigns, PL tone/CTCSS tones or DPL codes/DCS codes in use) for the 33 MHz fire dispatch band and the 30-50 MHz band in general. 

https://forums.radioreference.com/threads/2023-vhf-low-band-logs.436351/page-24

Hope this helps.  There is a lot of exciting DX coming in on the 25-30 MHz band and the 30-50 MHz band right now with the cycle heating up like it is.
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns