We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: RTL-SDR BLOG V4 DONGLE INITIAL RELEASE!  (Read 2148 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
RTL-SDR BLOG V4 DONGLE INITIAL RELEASE!
« on: August 17, 2023, 1520 UTC »
We're happy to announce the first release of our new RTL-SDR Blog V4 dongle which is based on the R828D tuner chip. The pricing is US$39.95 for the V4 dongle with antenna set, and US$29.95 for the dongle only, including free shipping to most countries.

Currently we are only shipping this model from our warehouse in China and the initial production batch is small and so we are limited in stock. However, now that we have confirmed that production of the first small batch of V4 has gone very well, we will be ramping up production, and stocking Amazon USA within 1-2 months as well.
https://www.rtl-sdr.com/rtl-sdr-blog-v4-dongle-initial-release/
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 1129 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Online MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: RTL-SDR BLOG V4 DONGLE INITIAL RELEASE!
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2023, 1612 UTC »
I've never really been interested in their dongles before, but this one looks like it would be worth trying out.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2023, 1926 UTC »
Just caught the announcement when skimming the SDRangel source repo. Ordered a couple of them. :)

The R828D has been in Astrometa DVB-T/DVB-T2 tuners for about a decade now.

https://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Astrometa_DVB-T2
http://blog.palosaari.fi/2013/10/naked-hardware-14-dvb-t2-usb-tv-stick.html
https://cgit.osmocom.org/rtl-sdr/commit/?id=aefd8b7d58c4735b19110b5f54de289e8dd931f5

It would seem any appreciable V4 performance differences from the V3 are likely more far more attributable to the updated RF filtering and power supply design than the tuner chip.

At least the V4 models have an integrated upconverter. Even a basic NEC602 external upconverter with an enclosure is around $15 shipped at AliExpress.

Alternatively, the Msi2500 Msi001 knockoffs *might* still be the better option at $20 to $30. I have a couple of them as well. They are okay enough IMO for *casual* MW/HF listening, but I have not bothered testing them much at higher frequencies. YMMV.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2023, 1620 UTC »
I ordered two V4 dongles through the eBay listing, but anyway, I finally got around to actually reading the description. ;p

https://www.ebay.com/itm/276000581691

A few more details about the changes:
  • USB noise choke, more bypass capacitors, and built in ferrites for less PC noise
  • Additional ESD diode and extra ESD discharge paths
  • Improved front end filtering via triplexer
  • Built in 28.8MHz low pass filter
  • Several breakout pads on the PCB for advanced users
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Online Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2023, 1734 UTC »
This seems like a low-stakes way to dip a toe into SDR listening, which is why I'm interested. I've read the software for the older models sometimes doesn't work well with Windows-based computers; wondering if that's still true.
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop

Online Shortwave_Listener

• DXing Phenomena
  • British Columbia, Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Shortwave Listener
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2023, 1741 UTC »
This seems like a low-stakes way to dip a toe into SDR listening, which is why I'm interested. I've read the software for the older models sometimes doesn't work well with Windows-based computers; wondering if that's still true.

I have a V3 and Windows 10 and it works fine.
Lucas Bandura
eQSL appreciated! lucasnerite@gmail.com
Songs are identified with Shazam if needed. I usually use KiwiSDR receivers. Reception from my QTH is using an SDRPlay RSP1A for SWL with a 40 meter band Inverted V at 40 feet. Kenwood TS-570D for ham use.
My website: https://swl7.wordpress.com/
Shortwave Radio Archive: https://www.youtube.com/@SW_Archive
https://archive.org/details/@shortwave_radio_archive

Online Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2023, 1752 UTC »

I have a V3 and Windows 10 and it works fine.

Good to hear that! Thanks.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2023, 2139 UTC »
RTL-SDR V4 working in SDRAngel on Linux. it is not an AirSpy HF+D, but from a quick skim of a few HF bands, the V4 does seem considerably better than a V3 with a basic upconverter. YMMV, of course, especially since my V3 upconvertors are cheap NE602 devices.

(Click to enlarge)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2023, 2156 UTC by RobRich »

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2023, 2013 UTC »
Finally got around to mediumwave. The V4 works okay for casual listening with my 31' vertical, but take care with RFI/EMI. I tested on my usual notebook, and I had to run it on the battery to avoid power supply RFI on MW frequencies. I have an USB extension cable wound on a huge mix 31 ferrite for SDR uses on that system, and for comparison, my AirSpy HF+D is not (usually*) affected by the same power supply RFI issue above very low longwave frequencies.

3.2M/s sampling seems okay upon a quick skim, though like the V3 model, I suspect the high sampling rate limit might be a YMMV depending upon the system. I am using an locally optimized build of SDRangel and various libraries under Linux on an AMD 5700u 8c/16t system.

On a related note....

10m+11m Bands Activity 5 SEP 2023 (RTL-SDR V4)

*While not too bad, the annoying mediumwave power supply RFI has started affecting my AirSpy HF+D on MW as well. I will poke at the issue later and try to recheck the V4.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2023, 2326 UTC by RobRich »

Online Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2024, 2043 UTC »
Well, I went ahead and ordered the V4 dongle. So far, I've had limited time to play with it, but for those wondering about how hard the drivers are to set up, I have good news.

While I write about tech for a living, I have no better than amateur skills when it comes to installing and using tech. Setting up the dongle and the SDR# screen, however, is relatively easy if you follow the directions on the RTL-SDR website. I'm running it on a nearly four-year-old Lenovo laptop with Windows 11.