We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: GNK beacon on 13565 LSB, 05-08, 0140Z onward  (Read 3639 times)

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
GNK beacon on 13565 LSB, 05-08, 0140Z onward
« on: May 08, 2013, 0256 UTC »
While tuning around 13mHz or so tonight, I stumbled across what I thought was either a carrier or some RFI.  I flipped to sidebands to try and figure out what it was, and... holy cow!  

--. -. -.- GNK  A beacon on 13565 LSB?  What the?!  It was loud and clear, easily SIO 555, at 0140.  Still there at 0210 when I packed up and went home, and though I haven't checked again, I'll bet it's still going strong.  Does anybody else have this one?  Is it just a local or Midwestern thing, or are folks further afield hearing it too?  And what's up with the frequency?  I've never heard a beacon that far up the spectrum.  Is somebody messing around, or has this been heard before?   ???
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 0259 UTC by Chanter »
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Re: GNK beacon on 13565 LSB, 05-08, 0140Z onward
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 0302 UTC »
Its KC9GNK's beacon in Madison:
http://kc9gnkbeacon.webs.com/gnkmedferbeacon.htm

Not hearing it here at 0302Z.

He also has one on 1704.3 kHz CW.

More on the HiFER beacons:
http://www.hfunderground.com/wiki/HiFER
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 0316 UTC by skeezix »
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 0408 UTC »
Well frak!  That explains the armchair quality of the signal, then.  :P  Guess I owe him a reception report.  How have I never heard this before?  I've been messing about that wavelength plenty, between AIR Bengaluru, Zambia and whoever else might be transmitting around 13600kHz.  How the heck have I never heard this before? 

I'll have to try for that 1704 one as well.  I bet I'll hear it, now I know what I'm after.  Thanks for all the info!  :D 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

cmradio

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 0712 UTC »
He was QRT for a bit.

Here's the place for info on him and QSL:
http://www.lwca.org/mb/index.html

Peace!

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns