We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: WLO Mobile, AL USA 8788 USB 1117 UTC 9 Mar 2023 - Audio/IQ File Included  (Read 1726 times)

Offline jasmine

• Seattle
  • Riding the (electromagnetic) waves...
    • View Profile
I seem to have logged a marine weather broadcast from WLO this morning. I thought this station went off the air? I've included the IQ file for anyone who wants to put it into their SDR: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1GSHsLkXAqfvXSc0VuDN4kQxeP6mBOwHp/view?usp=share_link

« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 1132 UTC by jasmine »
SDRPlay RSP1a, Airspy HF+Discovery, Malahit Clone with v1.10D & MLA-30+ Magnetic Loop Antenna

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
Also heard the  High Seas  broadcast with WLO ids . This was at 0100 UTC on 8788
Va Beach Virginia
Modified Dx 394 audio Altec Lansing ACS43
Folded dipole

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
I copied this last night (UTC 8 April, c. 0400 UTC) and listened for a while, but never copied ID. But it was YL voice with marine weather at this frequency and mode.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline jasmine

• Seattle
    • View Profile
I copied this last night (UTC 8 April, c. 0400 UTC) and listened for a while, but never copied ID. But it was YL voice with marine weather at this frequency and mode.

Awesome! I'm so happy other people are hearing this. I was a little hesitant to post about it at first and didn't do it until I made that recording as it was a station which was supposed to be dead. I had thought they took down all the antennas and sold the transmitters so my mind was "how am I even hearing this?" when I first detected it on the Malahit.
SDRPlay RSP1a, Airspy HF+Discovery, Malahit Clone with v1.10D & MLA-30+ Magnetic Loop Antenna

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Awesome! I'm so happy other people are hearing this. I was a little hesitant to post about it at first and didn't do it until I made that recording as it was a station which was supposed to be dead. I had thought they took down all the antennas and sold the transmitters so my mind was "how am I even hearing this?" when I first detected it on the Malahit.

It was on again last night (11 APR, around 0400 UTC) but it went out after only a few minutes. Again, no ID copied. It wasn't very strong and that made it a bit hard to make out.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Is this the one that comes from the tx on the bridge over Mobile Bay?

Offline jasmine

• Seattle
    • View Profile
Just letting people know that if you want the full story on the return of WLO read Hugh Stegman's Utility Column in the current, May issue of The Spectrum Monitor. Apparently my logging was the first one and he mentions my email to him with the recording on the 11th of March but you all heard it here 2 days before I emailed him  :)

Offline RADIO645 DX Group

• View Profile
    • Email
Just heard WLO ID on 8788 USB @1:05UTC 04.27.23 Very short marine HF WX broadcast with female voice recording.
I've monitored this station before, but this is the first time I heard the ID.
Radio: Sangean ATS 909X2 hooked to a roof mounted MLA30 antenna. RADIO645 QTH Santa Fe, NM. USA.

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
Re: WLO Mobile, AL USA 8788 USB 1117 UTC 09 MAR 2023
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2023, 1548 UTC »
According to the May 2023 edition of The Spectrum Monitor, WLO is back on the air.

Hugh Stegman offers the following schedule (c) The Spectrum Monitor:

H+0 -> 1 kHz top-of-the-hour audio beep followed by 3 note musical interval signal followed by an automated female voice “This voice-synthesized weather broadcast is brought to you by Global HF Net.” The length of the broadcast can run anywhere from 3 to 9 minutes, possibly longer and concludes with “This is the Global HF Marine Radio Net, station WLO standing by.”.

H+15 -> Interval signal and the same voice with “This is the Global HF marine and nautical radio system, part of the Global HF net.”.

H+18 - > Interval signal followed by “This public coast station is participating in scientific studies conducted by the National Institute of Standards and Technology. All stations please stand by for a test signal transmission. WLO testing.”. This is the same hourly test signal heard on WWV and concludes with “Station WLO, Mobile, Alabama, test, out.”.

H+30 -> Station ID, interval signal and “These voice synthesized marine broadcasts are brought to you by Global HF Net. This is public coast station WLO located south of Mobile, Alabama, just north of the north coast of the Gulf of Mexico.”.

H+45 -> Repeat of the H+15 ID.

Offline saint

• Fort Erie Ontario Canada
    • View Profile
    • Email
I have just recorder 8788 KHz USB WLO Telephone CH-824, not the greatest signal but it's the second time I have listen to them. The audio the first time was real strong.
Steve
YouTube video
https://youtu.be/N4j2C4ivKSc
Uniden 436HP Scanner, ARC536PRO Software and ProScan Software
Shortwave Listening
SDRplay RSPdx, MFJ-1886TR Loop Antenna, SDRuno Software,CSV user browser