We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: WHAS Louisville KY 840 am 03:22 Z  (Read 747 times)

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
WHAS Louisville KY 840 am 03:22 Z
« on: April 09, 2023, 0333 UTC »
03:22 utc 840 khz talking about an anti-gravity symposium between USA and Japan in May of 1958 and moving to discussion on extra-terrestrials.
ID @ 03:29 and 03:30

TX<>RX: 551 Miles.    Sangean 909X / Tecsun AN-200 passive loop

« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 0334 UTC by East Troy Don »
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: WHAS Louisville KY 840 am 03:22 Z
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2023, 1405 UTC »
That's a weird station, it has been for decades. My sister and my half brother live in the Kentuckiana region as WHAS calls it.

I was listening to a sports show on WHAS once that featured former Louisville and Kentucky basketball coaches Denny Crum and Joe B. Hall coming from a resort in the mountains above Death Valley at coaches conference. Joe B. asked Denny since there were longhorn sheep in the region if he thought they might see a moose? You could almost hear Crum's eyes roll when Joe asked that one. Joe B. was a heckuva a recruiter, but he didn't have much going on between the ears. Moose in the desert mountains, that was good ol' Joe.   

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2023, 1746 UTC »
WHAS's night time spread pattern is outrageous stretching from Denver to Montreal and Central Ontario to Monterey.

http://nf8m.com/pattern_maps/current/NIGHTTIME-
UNLIMITED/NIGHTTIME-UNLIMITED_840KHz-1.html

Up here its signal is as sporadic as its content is random.  Entertaining though.
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 1034 UTC »
My sister used to live in Paducah, KY. and I'd make that trans-Kentucky drive regularly ferrying my Mom back and forth to see her grandkids. In the winter you could catch WHAS in the daytime from one side of the state to the other. In the summer it was WLW until you got to Lexington, then WHAS, and if conditions were crappy, KMOX for the last 100 miles in. At night, year round, you just picked the one with programming you liked best and went.

Mom discovered she liked sports radio on those trips. She got to hear Joe B. ask his moose question on that run. She made the crack, "I had smarter kids in Special Ed."

Offline William Hassig

• DXing Phenomena
  • Mt. Prospect, IL 60056 USA
    • MSN Messenger - williamhassig@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2023, 0130 UTC »
I occasionally tune in WHAS 840 at night to hear "coast to coast am" if I can't get to sleep and if nearby WCGO 1590 has another of its many dead air snafus. Pigmeat, I read your comment about moose then your comment about kids in special ed being smarter than that. That was LOL.
Drake R8, Kenwood R-2000, Panasonic RF-4900, Sony 2010, Realistic DX440, Grundig Satellit 500, 7mhz backyard dipole, Mt Prospect, IL 20miles (32km) NW of downtown Chicago. I have been using online receivers because of strong data hash interference in my neighborhood that I believe is caused by Uverse squeezing up to 100mb/sec through ordinary pairs of wires. I don't have Uverse but neighbors do. williamhassig@yahoo.com

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2023, 2006 UTC »
Mom was something. She was just like her Dad. His infamous crack for my Grandma and her sister reeling off the obits to him after work was, "How about that? People died today that never died before." or his classic, "About time, he/she was old when I was a kid."