We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UNID Spanish numbers w/ data, 11635 khz., 0804 UTC, 6/1  (Read 3297 times)

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Heard a woman giving number sequences in Spanish.  The voice sounded like the same Spanish voice I've heard on HF since the 1980's.  But the transmission was not the same as back then. 

Instead of just numbers, I heard one set of numbers, followed by a data burst, followed by another set of numbers, followed by another data burst, etc.

Low modulation on the signal, as well as mediocre propagation... SIO 241-2 (also some QRM from a broadcast in Chinese on 11640).

Hadn't heard this sort of 'hybrid' numbers broadcast before.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline desmoface

• NE Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UNID Spanish numbers w/ data, 11635 khz., 0804 UTC, 6/1
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 1345 UTC »
Did it sound like this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akXxVrTyE8c

Steve
Kenwood TS-870SAT
Full Wave 80 Meter Horizontal Loop ~ 260 Ft Long
Pse qsl to Kb8viv @ yahoo . com
NE Ohio

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 0210 UTC »
You heard HM01, the Cuban number station. Pretty accurate schedule here:

http://www.brogers.dsl.pipex.com/enigma2000/newsletters/CEN.pdf

look on page 115

regards

GT
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 1357 UTC »
Thanks for the info!  I had read about these 'hybrid' numbers broadcasts, but the last numbers Spanish broadcast I'd heard (last year) was the more 'traditional' one -- just the woman reading numbers after saying 'atencion'.  This sort is new to me.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 1615 UTC »
This station (HM01) started being used sporadically about 8 or 9 months ago.  About 6 months ago it became the primary Cuban numbers station and the others from Cuba faded in use.  Today the traditional voice Cuban station (V02) and its sister Morse station (M08) have not been heard in a while.  The traditional digital Cuban station (SK01) has not been heard since shortly after HM01 appeared.

By the way, all Spanish language stations (there have been several, although as far as I know only 2 remain, V07 and V21) are not Cuban in origin.  For example V07 is a Spanish language numbers station with a voice that sounds very similar to the Cuban V02 and HM01 stations, but uses a totally different format than either of those.  However V07 is believed to be from Russian intel origins, and generally is believed to be transmitted from Russian installations in Europe or the Far East.

T!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 1617 UTC by Token »
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns