We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UNID rhythmic data bursts, 11830 khz; 0610 UTC, 6/5/2013  (Read 1472 times)

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Tuned the RFB45 through the 25 meter Shortwave broadcast band earlier tonight to find it was the only SW band with any decent propagation. Radio Australia's "Bush Telegraph" program was in pretty good on 11870 khz (with some interesting talk about Tasmania's opium poppy industry -- they use it for prescription painkillers), SIO 555, and New Zealand was in well also, on 11725 khz.

In between the two, on 11830, I heard these rhythmic bursts of what sounded like data, about 8-9 per second -- not sounding like any CW character, either.  It was propagating in and out, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't local QRM.  They were maybe S1 in strength on my DX-390.  

It's possible it may have been an image on both radios, but it didn't sound like one.

Edited to add: After listening through the sound samples from links Token placed on another thread, this sound was most similar to the LINK-11 sound.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 0947 UTC by BoomboxDX »
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
Re: UNID rhythmic data bursts, 11830 khz; 0610 UTC, 6/5/2013
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 0323 UTC »
Voice of Russia is on 11830 at that hour in DRM mode. maybe that is what you heard

I'm just sayin'....
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room