We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: do you keep a log of your reception?  (Read 4015 times)

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
do you keep a log of your reception?
« on: June 06, 2013, 1436 UTC »
This may have been addressed in a previous post. I am trying to get back into the habit of keeping a written log of what I hear on HF. I used to log stations religiously but when I renewed my dx\swl'ing about a year ago I only write down stuff occasionally. I picked up some pre-made forms from universal & made copies at work & I keep separate logs of what I hear from my qth here in KCMO & what I hear on various remote receivers. I am wondering if & how others log their reception. I've tried using a computer to keep a log but that sucks. I want to actually write it down. I recently moved my setup into an "empty" bedroom upstairs & I found ,in the room where I had put them years earlier, my logbooks from the late 90's. It made for some interesting reading. This was before I even had a computer & relied on GH's world of radio & the other dx shows along with pop comm , monitoring times & of course passport to world band radio. GH still did a printed version of dx listening digest at the time. I also found the logging form that I made for myself. It is almost the same as the thing from universal radio but it was tailored for what I wanted to record. I'm starting to ramble here...so do you keep a log & if so how do you do it?
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline clobdell

• Global Moderator
  • DXing Phenomena
  • Massachusetts
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: do you keep a log of your reception?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 1508 UTC »
You know, I used to, I still have my log book that I started in 1968, going faithfully into the early 1990s, but after that I just got lazy and lost interest in keeping it up.  These days I just jot down what I hear in a spiral bound notebook and file any written/email  reception report in the computer.
Receiver: Eton E1, JRC NRD-525, 535 and 545, Icom IC-7300
Aerial: MFJ G5RV dipole
near Lowell Massachusetts - Gateway To The Merrimack Valley.
All loggings are from my QTH with my equipment unless stated otherwise.
QSL to: crlobdell1@gmail.com or
Box 80146, Stoneham, MA 02180
Amateur Radio Station: KC1IUK

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 0540 UTC »
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 0833 UTC »
I write everything down, using a spiral ring notebook.  I go through maybe 3-4 of them a year.

Upper left hand corner, I write the date in UTC, and day (local day, i.e. "Thurs eve.", even if UTC is actually Friday -- that way if I screw the date up, which can happen, I can go back and correct it more easily).  I'll also write down the model of the radio I'm using next to the top line of the sheet somewhere.

Down the page, to the left of the blue line I keep the time in UTC, right side of the line I jot the log notes -- khz, what I am hearing, SIO, etc.

I write a lot down, probably more detail than I need to, but it helps me later on if I have an UNID, to help figure out what station it may have been.  It also is useful because I don't make recordings of my loggings, so notes is all I've got to go by.

Later on I'll put the main loggings on the computer -- IDed stations and tentatives.  I have separate Excels for MW and SW.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline refmo

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Northeast Kentucky
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 0113 UTC »
I used to keep logs, but lost them (all my QSL's too) in a flood in the mid-90's.  Never felt much like investing the time and effort after that.  If you do keep logs, I recommend having them backed up on the cloud or other online storage system to avoid loss.  I do still log most of my ham radio contacts.
Northeast Kentucky
Please eQSL to refmo[at]outlook[dot]com
Radios: Afedri AFE822x, Airspy HF+, RX-888, RSPdx, Tecsun PL880
Antennas: 700' Loop Skywire, Wellbrook ALA1530LN Loop, 400' Beverage, 34' Vertical, low dipoles on upper bands.

Offline DeltaCharlie

• coastal North Carolina
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 1634 UTC »
i still have my SWL log pages from GILFER in NJ that they sold from about 1967...in a three ring binder....they made a nice log sheet, along the line of an ARRL log format, but with SINPO scale....not alot of room for program details/comments tho.....i mainly used them to log the rare stations i sent reception reports to, so i could track responses, and see who needed to be sent another one with more $$$$ (hello, Sao Tome??  hello,Voice of Basque Underground???).......it worked well....also used it for other special catches, not everyday loggings....

i keep meaning to start using them again...gots lots of unused ones left...but i keep dragging my feet......

i go hot an cold...on a year...off a year.....

funny....yesterday i found a BIG BIG brown envelope stuffed with DOZENS AND DOZENS of pirate loggings from around 2006 with precise/anal scribbled reception report notes/logging details done in real time reception transcription scribble on legal pads......and i filed them away under some PILE...and there they have sat since 2006 ! SHEESH.......i wonder how many pirates would take offense to my good intentions by receiving 7 year old reception reports ??? :-(

Oh well.....i MEANT to write them up and send them at the time ! I really really did....but LIFE got in the way....apologies to all....ahhhhhhh...but the programs were still GREAT !!!! Excelsoir !!!!!

DeltaCharlie

coastal North Carolina

DeltaCharlie
P.O.Box 1262
Swansboro, NC  28584-1262

barefootdipole@yahoo.com

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 2011 UTC »
Back in the late 80's & early 90's I did. Looked through it recently and regret I didn't log more. A bunch of stations that are long since gone - R Moscow, R Prague, WRNO (on Dec 20, 1989, they broadcast the Rolling Stones "Steel Wheels" concert from Atlantic City live), R Kiev, Radio Bras, R Sofia, Radio RSA and ones that are still around, R Havana, BBC, and R Australia. Logged an UNID on July 24, 1989 on 15360 that was playing Polka music. Whole bunch of military, maritime, MW BC, and NDBs too. Last entry was Oct 21, 1991 on 29620 FM. WI0J repeater from NH. Only two entires in 1991. Also have a bunch of stuff on VHF and higher.

Started logging again, but I need to be a bit more dedicated to doing it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2013, 2020 UTC by skeezix »
Minneapolis, MN

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 0009 UTC »
I keep a log book, a bound record book, religiously.  In the past, I have used spiral notebooks also.

It's very interesting to read into your own back pages and see where you have been.  When glimmer started this thread, I pulled out my first logbook from 1969-70.  I found a log there for CJCX 6010, Cape Breton Island that I didn't even remember hearing (I was 17, you can do the math).  Lots of stations, as skeezix said, that are long gone and just warm fuzzy memories now.  But with all the station attrition, there is still a ton of stuff out there to hear today.  Log 'em in a book now, and you won't regret reading them again in the future. 
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 0028 UTC »
Speaking of attrition- Heard on World of Radio #1672 today that all transmissions from Wertachtal have ceased. Additionally, WYFR is in a spiral to going off as well as they've cut a lot of their broadcasts.

The Nauen site is still going.

If the broadcasters go off the air, more spectrum for pirates?  :'(

One thing I've been doing to make logging a bit more efficient, if I log stuff here on HFU, I'll come back after a day or two and print off the log, then toss that into a 3-ring binder.

But, still logging to my old little 3-ring binder.

Also got a few R Moscow QSLs in 1989-1990 or so.... I'm sure I've been on some list for a while now.   ;D
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 0103 UTC by skeezix »
Minneapolis, MN

Offline RCCI

• DX Legend
  • Chicagoland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 0310 UTC »
I used keep notebooks on the pirate radio station back in the 80's.  I've kept all of the ACE books / loggings from the 1980's. I also have a large binder of QSL's (many from pirate stations not even listed on HFU main list)

BTW - What ever happened to Kirk Baxter and George Zeller?
+ Equipment: Yaesu FRG 100B, Kenwood R-1000, Yaesu FRG7,
+ Antenna: 75' dipole, height 21', running north and south.  Chicagoland area.
 *** QSLs welcomed at: gangwise1997@yahoo.com   Thanks!   ...Steve

Offline clobdell

• Global Moderator
  • DXing Phenomena
  • Massachusetts
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 2029 UTC »
George Zeller is still around, he did the pirate forum at the Winterfest this year again, but his weekly pirate logs ceased over a year ago, so I think his interest is lessening. GZ is a big Indians fan and he's hoping that Tito Francona can take the Tribe to the World Series this year. ;)
Haven't heard from Kirk Baxter in a looong time.
Receiver: Eton E1, JRC NRD-525, 535 and 545, Icom IC-7300
Aerial: MFJ G5RV dipole
near Lowell Massachusetts - Gateway To The Merrimack Valley.
All loggings are from my QTH with my equipment unless stated otherwise.
QSL to: crlobdell1@gmail.com or
Box 80146, Stoneham, MA 02180
Amateur Radio Station: KC1IUK

Nella F.

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2013, 2105 UTC »
Not anymore...still have my medium wave log starting in 1964, hermetically sealed for hand-me-down protection.  I just circle frequ. listed on printout for prime time shortwave.