We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UNID 900 AM 1932 UTC 16 MAY 2023  (Read 447 times)

Offline owen81

• Bristol, SW UK
    • View Profile
    • Email
UNID 900 AM 1932 UTC 16 MAY 2023
« on: May 16, 2023, 1940 UTC »
I'm picking up a station on 900 am not very strong signal but it's popular music. It's too weak to ID at the moment but hopefully I will pick it up when it gets dark if it's still on, I heard talking in English but all I could make out was "I was walking through town earlier today" it sounded like a Scottish accent to me.  My guess is it's an Irish station as I'm in Scotland but I can't seem to find any reliable list of Irish MW stations. It could be a pirate, anyone know if a station that uses this frequency. It surely cant be a US station before dark although I'm in the NW of Scotland at the moment.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 1947 UTC by owen81 »
Tecsun pl660/330, Yaesu ft991a, ICOM IC718, SDRPLAY RSP1A, OCFD, mla30+, CCW V4 loop, Malahit DSP2.

Offline Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
Re: UNID 900 AM 1932 UTC 16 MAY 2023
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2023, 2028 UTC »
from the accent and the time,
a crazy idea :

Australia or New-Zealand

(sorry)
D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
+/- : about 0.02 offset, ++/-- 0.03/0.04 offset
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
*** Mes pages ex-OEM : semaines des OC, radios-médias, techniques de réception, en français, demandez  les ! ***

Offline owen81

• Bristol, SW UK
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 2119 UTC »
Via grey line path I guess you mean?, I was picking it up using the Malahit DSP 2 receiver and the peak on the scope was definitely at 900khz, but there's no licenced stations on 900 I can see here, its getting dark now but I managed to snap the antenna so that puts pay to checking. The Tecsun isn't sensitive enough to pick it up. Could be a local pirate but more likely that radio. Can you explain what an image signal is for me? I think that's what's going on but I can't quite get my head round the explanation I've read.
Tecsun pl660/330, Yaesu ft991a, ICOM IC718, SDRPLAY RSP1A, OCFD, mla30+, CCW V4 loop, Malahit DSP2.

Offline Brian

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2023, 2149 UTC »
Unlikely to be Irish. No legal station on that frequency (in fact there are no legal stations) and no Irish pirate logged there.

Offline Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2023, 1914 UTC »
Owen, try again.
Try particularly just around top of the hour. If no real ID, listen for local time of the station, and for the news if any. Also for ads, any detail can help.

Image frequencies are frequencies not really where the receiver display them. With the traditional design of the simple receivers, it was usual to hear at once the displayed frequency, and another frequency about 900 to 940 kHz higher, specially on the SW bands. Then many receivers were designed with double frequency change, to avoid this problem.

With the advent of DSP and SDR, things changed completely, to a much more complicated way. I don't know exactly how the Malahit works.

D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
+/- : about 0.02 offset, ++/-- 0.03/0.04 offset
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
*** Mes pages ex-OEM : semaines des OC, radios-médias, techniques de réception, en français, demandez  les ! ***