We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Need halp wif antennaz  (Read 2588 times)

Offline Dash Bronzehand

• Melbourne, Australia.
  • I WILL SQUELCH YOU.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Need halp wif antennaz
« on: June 16, 2013, 0519 UTC »
ATM I am running a longwire antenna, a have a couple, this just happens to be it ATM.

It is made from RG58COAX cable, pretty ideal for SW/HF Frequencies. However i believe what you receive is dependent upon the length of the wire? the length is around 9 meters / 30 foot.

Am i right in saying only 20,17,15,12,10 METER bands are accessible through this? 

cmradio

Re: Need halp wif antennaz
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 0915 UTC »
Just use a little receive antenna tuner on it :)

Peace!

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 1041 UTC »
For receive only, 30 ft / 10 meters of wire should work OK throughout the HF spectrum.  I've had good reception on antennas that were around that length.

You'll probably get more gain with a longer wire, though -- especially on the lower frequencies.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline RCCI

• DX Legend
  • Chicagoland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 0333 UTC »
I only use a longwire of 30 Ft. (off the ground 9 feet)due to restrictions--but also use a MFJ Versa Antenna Tuner 901B for the longwire and a MFJ -956 Band Tuner for the radio. Works well eeking out the faint signals. Regards...   Steve
+ Equipment: Yaesu FRG 100B, Kenwood R-1000, Yaesu FRG7,
+ Antenna: 75' dipole, height 21', running north and south.  Chicagoland area.
 *** QSLs welcomed at: gangwise1997@yahoo.com   Thanks!   ...Steve

Offline herman munster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 2039 UTC »
Hi, don't forget the earthing, modern houses have kind of bonding, not sure what ? maybe some kind of counterpoise which is just a length of conducting wire related in wavelength to the bans in use. Maybe this is overkill I don't know.

Tuned loops are a smaller in size and can be directive, plenty info on You Tube...see if I'm allowed to put a link here.

MFJ do a ready made antenna, but its exspensive..look at the videos on You Tube, a trip to a local ham radio club could give a better ideas on antennas..heres a couple of links from you tube.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YswnVmAKSP0

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 2121 UTC »
Tuned loops are a smaller in size and can be directive, plenty info on You Tube...

Tuned loops aka Resonant Loops (RLs) definitely can be smaller and definitely can be directive with some caveats.  I have been a user of small RLs for a number of years and will attest to their performance, and also to their potential for further development.

There is a ton of material posted on the tubes, some of it good, some of it bad, some of it incomplete.  To buy a RL, one has to deal with a very limited set of commercial offerings.  To build a RL - Roll  Your Own in MW parlance - all this information needs to be filtered carefully.

I do have a design for a RL which works very well for me from 90 to 41 meters, and that is pictured here:

I would be more than happy to share that design with others, and I will start to tidy up things (schematics and drawings) so that this can be posted at some point in the future.  In the short term, I think I will start a new thread in this Equipment section which will discuss some of the advantages/disadvantages of using a Resonant Loop, and what can realistically be expected.
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net