We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Field Day 2023!  (Read 936 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Field Day 2023!
« on: June 22, 2023, 1850 UTC »

Tis that time of year, already. The HF / VHF / UHF, and even microwave, HAM bands will be going absolutely nuts. https://www.arrl.org/field-day   Of course, if you want to get away from that, there's the WARC bands, 60M, and 2M National Simplex. Me??? I like to use the contest as a gauge to see how well my station gets out there, or doesn't.
(There... I've put the subject in the right category. Oooops...)
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Shortwave_Listener

• DXing Phenomena
  • British Columbia, Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Shortwave Listener
Re: Field Day 2023!
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2023, 2113 UTC »
I’ll be at the field day events with the local club this weekend  :D
Lucas Bandura
eQSL appreciated! lucasnerite@gmail.com
Songs are identified with Shazam if needed. I usually use KiwiSDR receivers. Reception from my QTH is using an SDRPlay RSP1A for SWL with a 40 meter band Inverted V at 40 feet. Kenwood TS-570D for ham use.
My website: https://swl7.wordpress.com/
Shortwave Radio Archive: https://www.youtube.com/@SW_Archive
https://archive.org/details/@shortwave_radio_archive

Offline Grinch

• View Profile
Re: Field Day 2023!
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2023, 1326 UTC »
Hope you guys had a good Field Day. Please let us know how it went. I had to work and wasn't able to make it out.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Field Day 2023? Did it from home.
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2023, 1935 UTC »
I didn't get on the bands until midnight. Waited for an early evening storm to pass, before we fired-up the grill for BBQ chicken. 75M was rough, with lightning crashes tearing that up, even with Attenuators. Also, rough on 40M, and could still hear crackles on 20M and even 15M. 10M and 6M, dead... Still, any station that I heard on attenuated S-Units strength I was able to nab on 1st tries with 65W. 40M seemed harder to do so, with station getting lots of pile-ups. I even worked the local club, at the new location set-up, from Liberty, WV on 7270kHz. Worked a few West Coast and "5"-land stations on 20M. And, heard no one on 15M, but still lightning crackles there. (Huh...) Worked that, until 3AM, here. When I got-up, there was a weak 10M "E" opening to Arkansas, but was only able to work a couple of stations there, until it seemed to take a dump at noon, here. Heard something quick on 50.200MHz, but no repeat. Someone tuning up??? Hey... That's the contester's Murphy's Law, the propagation sucks, until after the contest.
         Anyway, this tells me that at modest 'barefoot' power that I can still get-out and work 'em. So, a nice gauge. And, I'm working on a battery powered system to work the power sipper Xiegu G90 rig. The power sippers that I have for VHF / UHF are HT's to outdoor antennas. You can do a lot with 5W.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.