We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Cheap beacon construction examples  (Read 1265 times)

Offline Quinta

• View Profile
    • Email
Cheap beacon construction examples
« on: July 26, 2023, 0042 UTC »
I made couple similar beacons this summer, and want to share their construction.
Transmitters are primitive, 190-200 mwt output with 3.3V power from LiFePo cell, almost 500mwt with 6.3V from solar panel.
Charge current limited by solar panel, contoller only every 8 sec switch off charging and masure voltage on battery.
Controller - attiny85, voltage not stabilised, but limited with resistor and 4-5V zener diode. This circuit not draw power at night because maximum battery voltage is 3.5v. Attiny work with internal 1.1V reference voltage and internal rc generator, brownout level 1.8V Flashed via arduino as isp, with ATTiny Core for arduino. Actually program ismodified NicoVarg99 cw beacon, because program allow use not hardcoded text strings, so we can measure and send some telemetry. I only add voltages measuring and control charging circuit.
Boards covered with Plastic 71, bottom side of the boxes drilled for drainage and ventilation, because in closed boxes forms condensation.
https://github.com/NicoVarg99/Arduino-CW-beacon

Controller schematic

First beacon, 27.143MHz

Second beacon, 13.56MHz

« Last Edit: July 26, 2023, 0059 UTC by Quinta »

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
    • My adventures are at Sun To The North
Re: Cheap beacon construction examples
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2023, 1537 UTC »