We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: FYI on the QRZ swapmeet page-- Gates BC-1H 1kW Broadcast Transmitter free  (Read 740 times)

Offline Paul Turkk

• SW Michigan
    • View Profile
    • WFMU
    • Email
From QRZ:

This beautiful transmitter came from WSRO in Framingham, MA.
I purchased this after meeting Paul Andrews, WB1EWS, in an AM Forum at the Boxboro, MA ham fest.

My idea at the time was it would be one of my retirement projects.
Well I retired last June, so that worked, however we’re also relocating to Maine and that’s probably not going to work for this transmitter.

Tubes and transformers were removed (wiring labeled) prior to relocating from the station to NH and have been stored on a shelf.
Also makes it a bit lighter (funny, yes) but it did help when moving it.
Picked it up in my 2004 Ford Ranger just to give you an idea.
Worked well, but I did have to remove the tailgate as it missed closing by an inch or two!
I added heavy duty locking coaster wheels to the chassis so it can be easily moved around to work on.

Pictures can be seen at the following link:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1DObubkSdY9UnS8m-B7Ef7H1ulkVYPOq_?usp=sharing

This is free and for pickup only for obvious reasons!
It is currently located Southern New Hampshire.
Serious inquires only please.

Thanks for looking!

Bruce W1SO
RSPdx / SDRUno, WB 1530LNP \ MLA-30 Loop,  Sirio SD-1300 Discone
SW Michigan, on the shore of Lake Michigan.

Pse Qsl:  pturkk at gmail dot com

WFMU.org  Freeform Radio at it's best

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
The Gates 1KW class AM transmitters mostly used triode tubes, 833A's which are stubborn as a mule on higher frequencies.  Later rigs from other vendors (ITA, RCA, CCA, et al) used tetrodes, which were easier to drive, and didn't require neutralization.  These transmitters would be better candidates for HF service.

+-RH
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 0901 UTC by redhat »
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me