We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: FCC Advances FM HD Power Proposal? Oh boy...  (Read 900 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
FCC Advances FM HD Power Proposal? Oh boy...
« on: August 05, 2023, 1818 UTC »
Yeah, another SWL'ing 1st-peak-at, but I don't think that anyone is really looking for a +10dB increase in HD FM signals. https://www.radioworld.com/tech-and-gear/digital-radio/fcc-advances-fm-hd-power-proposal?utm_term=61A8488F-378C-452E-8F94-297BD9CB8D3A&utm_campaign=0028F35E-226C-4B60-AC88-AB2831C8A639&utm_medium=email&utm_content=DD523C78-8571-4126-94F2-5CC028EECA16&utm_source=SmartBrief As if FM DX'ing wasn't hard enough today. This may about kill that hobby.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: FCC Advances FM HD Power Proposal? Oh boy...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2023, 1856 UTC »
The proposal would not raise the current HD power ceiling, which is -10dBc, or 10% digital ERP relative to analog ERP, but instead allow the use of asymmetric sideband power on a non-experimental basis.  They are beating a dead horse at this point.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: FCC Advances FM HD Power Proposal? Oh boy... And, AM???
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2023, 1830 UTC »
Uh... Apparently, more all digital coming on for AM. https://www.radioworld.com/tech-and-gear/digital-radio/crawford-will-flip-an-alabama-am-to-all-digital  At 41W at night, chances are, it won't bug anyone. Oh... Another SWL'ing 1sr rip.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
Re: FCC Advances FM HD Power Proposal? Oh boy...
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2023, 1752 UTC »
AM Digital is a failure just like AM IBOC is a failure. There is no way it's going to save AM, but of course we already know that.
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna