We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: New to me R75  (Read 2027 times)

Offline mbott

• EN80nd
    • View Profile
    • Email
New to me R75
« on: August 10, 2023, 2039 UTC »
I have 5 SDRs, 4 of which I can connect to at any time and a Kiwisdr, but there are times that a physical radio with a knob just feels right.  This Icom R75 has replaced the DX-160 that I never really felt comfortable with.  The Palstar SP30B arrived today. 

Life is good.

--
Mike
« Last Edit: August 10, 2023, 2042 UTC by mbott »

Offline Sealord

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • North East Florida
    • View Profile
Re: New to me R75
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2023, 2056 UTC »
Nice!  I still haven't come over to the dark side of knobless radios yet :)
Indoors: WR-G33DDC & TT RX-340_DX Eng. 4-Square Array / Outdoors: Belka-DX_Whip / Poolside: SMC HF-150_MMD-40 (D.O.G.) / Off Air/Studio Recordings

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2023, 0020 UTC »
Ah, but you can add knobs to a software based SDR. I use an ELAD TM-2 (TMATE) with SDRuno.
https://shop.elad-usa.com/tmate/elad-tm2-usb-tuning-system-tmate/

A Griffin PowerMate or Contour Design Shuttle are other options. I believe that the Griffin product is no longer available and drivers beyond Windows 7 may be an issue.

Offline M R I

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2023, 0502 UTC »
I run power SDR interfaced with IF stage and CAT control functions on a modified HF transceiver. I can use the VFO knob to tune with tracking.

I also have the R75 that developed audio distortion. I traced it down in the -5 volt power supply circuit that uses a 555 IC as a DC to DC converter to a bad capacitor causing a low output voltage.
Mix.Radio.International [at] ProtonMail [dot] com

Offline mbott

• EN80nd
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2023, 1411 UTC »
Nice!  I still haven't come over to the dark side of knobless radios yet :)

What the LP looked like just two years ago.

--
Mike

Offline mbott

• EN80nd
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2023, 2023 UTC »
And this is the current LP.

--
Mike

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2023, 2055 UTC »
Hi Mike,

Nice setup of your listening post (LP). I can see that you have pruned the collection of receivers over time. I went through that a little over a year ago when I moved. It was a painful thing to do. I had acquired and restored well over 100+ radios in my collection over a 40 plus year span. Today it is all but a couple of hands full or so.

Here is a link to a picture of 1 rack, of many, which is found in an article I wrote on Software Defined Radio (SDR) back in 2018.

http://www.milspec.ca/sdr/sdr.html

By the way, depending on which RSP model you have, you can run multiple receivers (RSPduo) and all RSPs are capable of running multiple VRXs within the same bandwidth (decimation setting). This is how I am able to listen to, for example, 11175.0 kHz on VRX 1 and 11232.0 kHz on VRX 2. You certainly have the screen real-estate for multiple VRXs.

Offline mbott

• EN80nd
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2023, 1526 UTC »
<snip>

By the way, depending on which RSP model you have, you can run multiple receivers (RSPduo) and all RSPs are capable of running multiple VRXs within the same bandwidth (decimation setting). This is how I am able to listen to, for example, 11175.0 kHz on VRX 1 and 11232.0 kHz on VRX 2. You certainly have the screen real-estate for multiple VRXs.

RSP2 (as a spare), RSPduo, RSPdx, Airspy HF+ Dualport and a HF+ Discovery.  And yet, I rarely open a 2nd VRX let alone use the two receivers of the duo. 

Screen real estate generally looks like this:

--
Mike

Offline JustGreg

• DX Legend
  • Oakdale, Connecticut USA or FN31
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2023, 2234 UTC »
It is a nice receiver and works well.  Nice to hear that they are still around.
Enjoy Life, JustGreg
Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
AirSpy HF + Discovery with GQRX software
40 meter End Fed Half Wave with 49 to 1 transformer.
frw.greg@gmail.com