We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Logbooks  (Read 4863 times)

Offline Andrew Yoder

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Hobby Broadcasting Blog
    • Email
Logbooks
« on: September 06, 2023, 1146 UTC »
One topic that I haven't heard anyone talk about in a long time is logbooks. Are most people using logging software? Just using the posts on HFU to serve as their logs, using ARRL ham books to list log, or maybe just enjoying the listening experience and not logging anything? It seems like some of the DXers from decades ago used to be serious about their logbooks, but I think it's been two decades or so since I've heard anyone discuss the topic.
Please QSL to: POB 109, BRS, PA 17214
Hobby Broadcasting Blog: http://hobbybroadcasting.blogspot.com/
Drake R8, AOR AR-7030, R-390A, R-388, SX-28A, Philco 44 + some others    Horizontal loops & 1/2-wave inverted V

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
Re: Logbooks
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2023, 1552 UTC »
I have looked at and tried several applications but never really found something that suited my needs nor that I could customize. For me, it is all but a series of consistently formated text files which I open and edit using Notepad++. Multiple logbooks can be opened simultaneously and appear as separate tabs which you can quickly switch to with ease. Notepad++ also has some nice search features which work very well when looking up entries in the logbook. I thought about building a database or using Excel but decided that there was no need to complicate life any further with an elaborate logbook.

Bellow is a preview, including a screenshot of the search feature in the lower half of the image. The search keyword was TRENTON MILITARY.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2023, 0150 UTC by ~SIGINT~ »

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2023, 2316 UTC »
"Old School" habits die hard.  I'm still using the ARRL spiral notebooks.
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2023, 0033 UTC »
I use the spiral ring notebooks you get at box stores and supermarkets. I don't use software anymore. Too much time to maintain a computer log I never look at. During the last MW DX peak in 2012-2014 I had a 'best of' MW DX log on Excel spreadsheet, but then I lost interest.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline R. Comeau

• Northeastern MA
  • PSE QSL: rosscomeau01@gmail.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2023, 1934 UTC »
Since my first logbook back in 1978, I've been using a spiral notebook. I've saved all my logbooks throughout the years, and unlike using a computer, never have to worry about losing the information to a meltdown or malfunction.

Offline Sealord

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • North East Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2023, 2341 UTC »
For the most part, I let my recordings be the logbook.
Indoors: WR-G33DDC & TT RX-340_DX Eng. 4-Square Array / Outdoors: Belka-DX_Whip / Poolside: SMC HF-150_MMD-40 (D.O.G.) / Off Air/Studio Recordings

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: Logbooks?
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2023, 0440 UTC »

Me??? I still write long-hand to old, extra, notebooks. One, for a dupe-sheet of pretty much general observations, in pencil , and a penned notebook of kept loggings. The only, somewhat, problem that I have always had with this is that my Spell Check doesn't seem to work in long-hand. Hmmmmmmmm...
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Andrew Yoder

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Hobby Broadcasting Blog
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2023, 2135 UTC »
Thanks much for the personal experiences. I've been doing nothing for so long, aside from recording a lot and mentioning some things that I hear here and on the blog. Just seemed like it left too many holes, so I pulled out my last (unfinished) logbook (spiral-bound notebook) and started using it again.

I've also used text files, like SIGINT, and will probably continue using those for logs of SDR stations while I work
Please QSL to: POB 109, BRS, PA 17214
Hobby Broadcasting Blog: http://hobbybroadcasting.blogspot.com/
Drake R8, AOR AR-7030, R-390A, R-388, SX-28A, Philco 44 + some others    Horizontal loops & 1/2-wave inverted V

Offline Radio Star

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2023, 2100 UTC »
I use a Word format that is easily transferred to my two club columns.
Monthly I print out the Word file, punch it and put it in a 3-ring binder.

I know, I know....but it works for me.
All Reception Direct and Local on Cape Cod, MA
"Right here, right now"
Please eQSL to: swradio@comcast.net

Perseus SDR / Wellbrook ALA1530LN

Offline Grumpy Grandpa

• FSM AR
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2023, 1935 UTC »
It's all txt. files for me, using special characters as search variants.
QSL email addy: dagasque(at)hotmail.com
Thanks in advance!

Icom R71-A
RSP1A, RSPdx, Airspy HF+
Tecsun PL-880, Malachite V3 1.10D
W6LVP 1M active loop, KA7U 1M active loop
Cross Country Wireless active loop kit + various-sized LoGs
MLA30+ active loop
A good supply of corn chips
Probably a spiked iced tea somewhere close
Shazam is a frequent co-pilot

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2023, 0350 UTC »
Back around 1998 I used Clarion database software on an old PC to create a shareware logging utility based on the ARRL log book format. I made it as easy as possible to just tick a box and keep manual entries to a minimum, other than whatever notes the user wanted to add.

And soon afterward Clarion was discontinued. The  data logging shareware was standalone and didn't need a copy of Clarion to run. It also created standard data to transfer to any other database.

But I lost interest in trying to keep up with changes in tech.

Nowadays I mostly just listen. Due to heavy and worsening RFI blotting out the sky (it even breaks through FM stations here and completely wipes out most AM MW stations), I don't listen indoors anymore. It's almost impossible. If I want to stay indoors occasionally I'll try a remote SDR.

So I'll tote a portable out to the backyard. If I get at least 50 yards away from the nearest building it's tolerable. But I'm not gonna lug a laptop and WiFi booster. Occasionally I'll jot down a few notes on my phone for new-to-me stations or unique programs. Then I'll copy the logs to the HFU later. That's about it for the past few years.

I suppose I could create an Android app comparable to my old Clarion database for MSDOS and Win95. It would be easier than using the simple notepad with no formatting or boxes to tick to speed up logging.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns