We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Ventures tribute shows from Dead Cat Radio & Wolverine Radio  (Read 946 times)

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
6/18/09 - Heard back to back shows with all-Ventures music, presumably a salute to Bob Bogle, founding member of the Ventures and guitar legend, who died Sunday 6/14/09.  One of the great things about pirate radio is the freedom to put on tribute and memorial shows on the spot, no need to clear things with a program director.  During the past couple of years I've heard themed shows timed to coincide with significant dates for futurist novelist Arthur C. Clarke, aviatrix Amelia Earhart, Lynyrd Skynyrd band members and others.

Dead Cat Radio: 6925 USB, 0110z-0120z (approx), all-Ventures show: Hawaii 5-0 theme, Secret Agent Man, Walk Don't Run.
"I've got balls of steel" audio bit. Ended with YL voice ID "You've been listening to Dead Cat Radio"
SINPO-34333. Good signal here in Texas, not even dark yet. Moderate chuffing QRN, not bad.

Wolverine Radio: 6925 USB, right on the heels of DCR show, approx 0125-0131z. Three Ventures songs, only able to ID "Lolita Ya-Ya".  I couldn't make out ID, which was played backward, but deciphered as Wolverine Radio by DXer extraordinaire Sealord, as logged on the FRN.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)