We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: New loggings: KMZQ, KOAL, and KATL  (Read 885 times)

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
New loggings: KMZQ, KOAL, and KATL
« on: September 09, 2023, 2312 UTC »
This past summer, I acquired a CCRadio 2 and inherited a GE Superadio 3, so I've been trying them out to get used to their reception quirks, etc. Last night/early this morning, I used the CCRadio 2 with my AN-100 indoor loop and ended up logging three new ones from my location north of Seattle:

KMZQ 670 in Las Vegas (870 miles). I matched its talk programming with the station's online stream. This was the first time I was able to clearly hear something behind KBOI, which dominates. This supposedly runs just 600 watts at night, but I suspect it was using its daytime power.
    KOAL 750 in Price, Utah (806 miles). This was lurking behind Portland's KXTG with "Coast to Coast AM"; it runs at 6.8 kW at night.
    KATL 770 in Miles City, Montana (768 miles). I could hear this one mixing with Saskatchewan's CKJH behind Seattle's KTTH with adult contemporary songs (including Taylor Swift) that matched the station's online stream. It runs 1 kW at night.
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop