We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Lazy H Antenna  (Read 10754 times)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Lazy H Antenna
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2013, 2214 UTC »
Boombox, you beat me to it.

Chris, you could use traps on both the dipole and the reflector to reduce the footprint. You would probably know better than I where to find online calculators for the coils.

Offline Sealord

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • North East Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 1324 UTC »
Hah! That's what you think. I have no hair above the ears. Plenty in my ears,but none above. And it's mauve thank you very much.

thats basically PINK   did you dye yur hair for AL again

Good to see ya hanging around the asylum OR! :)
Indoors: WR-G33DDC & TT RX-340_DX Eng. 4-Square Array / Outdoors: Belka-DX_Whip / Poolside: SMC HF-150_MMD-40 (D.O.G.) / Off Air/Studio Recordings

Offline Sealord

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • North East Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2013, 1259 UTC »
Chris, what about an EWE?  If you have two trees in line towards Europe it would be ideal, plus it's closer to the ground for tweaking.
Indoors: WR-G33DDC & TT RX-340_DX Eng. 4-Square Array / Outdoors: Belka-DX_Whip / Poolside: SMC HF-150_MMD-40 (D.O.G.) / Off Air/Studio Recordings

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2013, 1316 UTC »
Chris, what about an EWE?  If you have two trees in line towards Europe it would be ideal, plus it's closer to the ground for tweaking.

I think I do have two such trees, Sealord. Thanks for the suggestion, let me look into it. Do you have one?
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Sealord

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • North East Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2013, 1343 UTC »
I was using one before I got into the phased verticals and had good results with it.  In a sense, that's what the EWE is - two phased verticals in an endfire arrangement using the top horizontal wire connecting the two verticals as your phase line.  The only downside is the antenna is very dependent on grounding so if your soil conditions are really, really bad then it might not give you as good of performance.

How far apart are your trees?  I don't know of any tree distance/Freq. formula, but IIRC the rule of thumb is twice the distance per vertical height.  I had two pines that were 14' apart so I set my verticals up 7' high and had good results.  You do have to use a 3:1 transformer to knock it down to 50 ohms.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 1650 UTC by Sealord »

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns