We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UNID wide band signal 43 meters 1958 UTC 9 Aug 2013  (Read 1319 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
UNID wide band signal 43 meters 1958 UTC 9 Aug 2013
« on: August 09, 2013, 2001 UTC »
I've noticed this wide band signal, not seen before here, starting at 1958 UTC today:

On and off, and there is some apparent fading of some of the frequencies. I do not think it is local QRM.

Here it is with a wider waterfall:

Ragnar came up with "picket fence" - I like that name.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 2005 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Re: UNID wide band signal 43 meters 1958 UTC 9 Aug 2013
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2013, 1329 UTC »
That kind of neat to see the various fading holes. Would like to see this go much wider and last for a very long period of time to see how propagation affects the signal.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: UNID wide band signal 43 meters 1958 UTC 9 Aug 2013
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2013, 1418 UTC »
Chris, do you still have a file on this signal?  If you do you might make a 20 or 30 second sound clip in USB, say 4 or 5 kHz width and around 6995 kHz c/f.  I really just want to know if this is LFM or if it is pulsed, and the tone spacing.

I have seen a similar freq and width sounder in use, mostly detectable on the west coast, but it looks like the sweep rate of this signal is much higher than the sounder I have seen.  If swept vs pulsed the sounder would be a possible fit.  If pulsed a signal I have a couple other signals as possible fits.

But really nothing in my log is a good match, they all have to be changed or twisted to fit what seems to be shown in that waterfall.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA