We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Military one time Slot 4 information broadcast 11159usb 22:20 UTC 8/11/13  (Read 4347 times)

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
I saw logs of this in dxld & am hearing it well now. British accented VOLMET naming locations in UK, Africa & middle east.

With each subsequent ID the number seems to change  22:20 was "this is military one time lot 3 information broadcast"
22:24 was "this is military one time lot 4 information broadcast"
22:25 was "this is military one time lot 5 information broadcast"
22:30 was "this is military one time lot 1 information broadcast"
22:34 was "this is military one time lot 1 information broadcast"
22:37 was "this is military one time lot 2 information broadcast"

Lot 1 seems to be UK sites
Lot 2 seems to be UK sites ( not sure about this one)
Lot 3 seems to be Mediterranean & African sites ( Gibraltar , Corfu, Dakar)
Lot 4 seems to be Mid east sites ( Baghdad  Kandahar)
Lot 5 seems to be mid east sites

obviously RAF VOLMET but the TX location is not clear. Possibly Creech AFB in Nevada or other western US base. or maybe Ascension.

at 00:50 this station is absolutely inbooming. The word "Lot" is most likely "Slot" so I guess the station would be called
  "Military one....Time slot (1 thru 5)... information broadcast"
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 0359 UTC by glimmer twin »
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
This transmission is identical to the transmissions heard on 5450 kHz and 11253 kHz.  The audio on all three freqs are identical, however there is a very slight time delta between at least two, if not all three, of these frequencies.  I know 11253 kHz leads 11159 kHz by a few tenths of a second, but I have never been able to receive 5450 kHz directly (not using a remote) well enough so I have not been able to make an honest comparison of the timing on that freq to the others.

Later tonight I will load a video of 11253 kHz and 11159 kHz on one RX to compare timing.
(edit)  Stereo audio / video recording here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEPY7P_xI-U
the left channel audio is 11159 kHz, the right channel audio is 11253 kHz.  You can clearly hear 11253 audio leads 11159 audio slightly.

The transmissions work in a 30 minute cycle, starting at XX00 and XX30.  It cycles through Slot One to Slot Five during that cycle.

Video of complete 30 minute cycle here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shmIBvLxwAY

The above was as received at my location in the Mojave Desert, California.

Location is a bit of a question, no doubt.  However I can say with almost certainty it is not Ascension.  Ascension is a tad over 11700 km from my location and there is no way that freq will, for days on end, support uninterrupted propagation over that distance to me.  Since I have heard it at all hours of the day and night since I first noticed it a bit over three days ago, every time I have gone looking for it since then it has been there, it has to be closer than Ascension.

The thought of Creech AFB is driven, at least partially (it was first suggested, as far as I know, in the #wunclub chat), by the fact that the Brits have a permanent presence there.  However I do not place much faith in that, the Brits have a permanent presence on dozens of bases in the western US, I don’t see that as enough to qualify that particular base.  Also, I have hunch the location is a bit further form me than there.

I am leaning towards a location something like Utah or Colorado area, but have little to go on for that.  Primarily every time I have listened on a CO remote the signal has been pretty strong.

Others are suggesting south west Canada.  That might fit but when I check remotes in the US north west and Canadian south west I don’t think they are stronger, indeed often they are weaker, than the CO remotes.

T!
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 0357 UTC by Token »
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
At 12:00z on 8/12 all three RAF VOLMET stations were off air. The 11253 & 5450 frequencies were back at 18:00z check but 11159 has not returned. A possible QSL address is:

Swanwick Military
London Area Control Centre
Box 13
Sopwith Way
Swanwick
Southampton
SO31 7AY
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
On August 12, 2013 both 5450 and 11253 kHz came back on the air between my 1345 UTC and 1402 UTC check.  Not there at 1345, were there at 1402 UTC.

And yes, 11159 kHz has not yet returned to service, if it ever will.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA