We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: This Halloween marks 75th anniversary of CBS "War of the Worlds"  (Read 3074 times)

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
PBS will make a documentary that clearly shows how powerful radio can be. The fact that a play by Orson Welles made America completely loose its mind still shocks me. I wonder is WCBS in NYC will play the orginal broadcast, because they definetly should. It would be so cool to see how we react to it now, and also make for a fun catch for MW DX'ers on that night. WCBS 880 kHz.
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

cmradio

Was it that long ago? :o

And now America looses its mind over Kardashians, AFV, AGT and Beebz :P

Peace!

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
Amen to that! Nobody probably even knows what the war of the worlds broadcast was! I have the entire original broadcast on vinyl at home, and every Halloween I put that on and put the lights out! Such a vivid picture it paints.
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline dxer720

• View Profile
Re: This Halloween marks 75th anniversary of CBS "War of the Worlds"
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2013, 0327 UTC »
I think I read somewhere, that a broadcast like that was done in Ecuador, & when the listeners found out it was only a radio play, they burned the station.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Minneapolis, MN