We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Beacon? 4347 kilohertz  (Read 1216 times)

Offline Claim Jumper

• Mojave Desert
    • View Profile
Beacon? 4347 kilohertz
« on: December 20, 2023, 1158 UTC »
On 2023/12/20 at 2250 UTC on 4347 kilohertz Lower Side Band. An unknown Beacon to me. Can't find it listed anywhere. Rarely post here not sure if I'm getting this right. The signal strength is 20 over in the Mojave Desert. It just cut off at 2255. And back on again at 2256.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 2305 UTC by Claim Jumper »
Grundig Sattelit 800. Icom IC7300. OCFD 80-6 meters. Genuflecting at the altar of truth, logic, and common sense.

Offline DYGradio

• San Tan Valley, AZ
  • All intercepts via my home receivers
    • View Profile
    • WB5DYG Amateur Radio
    • Email
Re: Beacon? 4347 kilohertz
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2023, 1629 UTC »
Greetings!
Can you describe what you were hearing? Dashes, dits, sweeps, etc.? Timing of said signals (fast, slow, etc.). This will help as we monitor for it. Thanks!
Ron
WB5DYG
San Tan Valley, AZ  Grid square DM43ff
www.wb5dyg.com

Icom IC-R8500/IC-R7000/IC-718/Airspy HF+/Airspy HF+ Discovery/Hammarlund HQ-180A
Vertical, longwire, and other antennas

Offline Claim Jumper

• Mojave Desert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2023, 2238 UTC »
I have a recording. I can't figure out how to attach it in here though. It went through a pattern of slight changes over and over. If I can't attach the recording I'll listen to it again and try to explain it. Any hints on how to attach this?
Grundig Sattelit 800. Icom IC7300. OCFD 80-6 meters. Genuflecting at the altar of truth, logic, and common sense.

Offline Claim Jumper

• Mojave Desert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2023, 2250 UTC »
It sounds like a game of pong. High speed. Two beats per second. There's other sound as well but the predominant sound is the pong sound.

Offline DYGradio

• San Tan Valley, AZ
    • View Profile
    • WB5DYG Amateur Radio
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2023, 0015 UTC »
I believe you have encountered a radiofax (weather fax) station. I have one on that frequency right now and in LSB mode it sounds just like what you describe. I am on an SDR and can see the fax signals in the waterfall which makes it easier to identify. Switched to USB, brought up FLDIGI and tuned it in properly. It is sending oceanic surface charts from the NOAA weather service. That frequency would be NMC in Pt. Reyes, CA which would explain the strong signal at your location. The cutting off and coming back one minute later tags it as fax as well, they start and stop between pages of the fax. I can see where in LSB depending on where in the bandpass it is tuned it could sound like some sort of beacon. The published frequency is 4346 KHz which for tuning purposes on USB is 1.9 KHz lower in order to copy the fax - 4344.10 KHz. 21DEC23 00:05z Airspy HF+ Discovery 60ft SE/NW longwire
Ron
WB5DYG
www.wb5dyg.com

Icom IC-R8500/IC-R7000/IC-718/Airspy HF+/Airspy HF+ Discovery/Hammarlund HQ-180A

Offline Claim Jumper

• Mojave Desert
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2023, 0754 UTC »
Nice! Thank you sir for the info. I have a waterfall display on my Icom as well, but I didn't see any signal next to it. Again I really don't know what I'm doing as far as beacons or number stations or Pirate Radio. Ham radio is my main Hobby, but I have a big interest in this as well.

Offline DYGradio

• San Tan Valley, AZ
    • View Profile
    • WB5DYG Amateur Radio
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2023, 0314 UTC »
No worries! There are so many digital beeps, buzzes, and bloops out there these days, but that adds to the great mystery of exploring these bands outside the ham bands. The more you listen the more you will start to recognize the characteristics of some of the more common ones and where they reside in the spectrum, others none of us will ever know for sure... as the motto says: "Signals That Go Bump In The Night". Lots of helpful information here on HFU. Always feel free to ask, 73 and keep tuning!
Ron
WB5DYG
www.wb5dyg.com

Offline Claim Jumper

• Mojave Desert
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2023, 0648 UTC »
🤠👍

Offline Teotwaki

• DXing Phenomena
  • California
    • View Profile
    • My adventures are at Sun To The North
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2024, 2031 UTC »
Nice! Thank you sir for the info. I have a waterfall display on my Icom as well, but I didn't see any signal next to it. Again I really don't know what I'm doing as far as beacons or number stations or Pirate Radio. Ham radio is my main Hobby, but I have a big interest in this as well.

Welcome to our corner of the hobby!

The list we maintain will be helpful with identifying beacons that are known, The post is here

https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,9478.0.html

If you have comments about the list post in this thread

https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,68701.0.html
Jim
NRD-525, Elecraft KX3 and Elecraft PX3 Spectrum Display
76' end fed long wire & 66' off-center fed dipole for 10/20/40 meters
Orange County, SoCal, The better half