We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: The Rise and Decline of CB Radio  (Read 1022 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
The Rise and Decline of CB Radio
« on: December 20, 2023, 1503 UTC »
In the mid-1970s, an obscure technology called Citizens Band or CB radio exploded in popularity across America. Seemingly overnight, bulky CB radios became standard equipment in millions of cars and trucks across the country. Antennas sprouted up like the shoots of some weird new plants. Obscure codes and nicknames like “10-4 good buddy” entered the national lexicon. But by the early 1980s, the CB craze had largely faded away. What explains this rapid rise and fall of what was arguably one of the biggest fads in American history?

Full story: https://sjl.us/2023/11/12/the-rise-and-decline-of-cb-radio/
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
Re: The Rise and Decline of CB Radio
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 0146 UTC »
Inexpensive radios, no licensing and unenforceable rules.   Geez, what could possibly go wrong?   :D
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Re: The Rise and Decline of CB Radio? Depends, where you are.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 2040 UTC »
I've always thought that MAX distance rule was stupid. When you put a Citizen's Band in an HF portion, that gets more openings than the neighboring 10M Amateur Band, what did they think was going to happen? Still, CB has its place. Want to go deep into wooded areas, with hills & valleys, VHF MURS, and especially UHF FRS / GMRS, just have no penetration. Let alone, 800MHz cell phone.   
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Shortwave_Listener

• DXing Phenomena
  • British Columbia, Canada
    • View Profile
    • The Shortwave Listener
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2023, 2144 UTC »
At least they got rid of the distance rule in the US. We still have it here.
Lucas Bandura
eQSL appreciated! lucasnerite@gmail.com
Songs are identified with Shazam if needed. I usually use KiwiSDR receivers. Reception from my QTH is using an SDRPlay RSP1A for SWL with a 40 meter band Inverted V at 40 feet. Kenwood TS-570D for ham use.
My website: https://swl7.wordpress.com/
Shortwave Radio Archive: https://www.youtube.com/@SW_Archive
https://archive.org/details/@shortwave_radio_archive

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2023, 2152 UTC »
FWIW, the FCC finally dropped the 250km limit in 2017.

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DOC-344617A1.pdf

I agree the distance limit never really made sense for a HF band. Sure, break out a map each time ya' make a contact. Even just 12w SSB legal limit on a decent 11m opening can garner contacts at thousands of miles distance.

I used to "talk" on 27.025am and similar at times back in the day, but being realistic, power like that is rarely needed to actually work 11m DX.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline shadypyro

• Port Alberni British Columbia Canada
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2023, 0407 UTC »
And channel 9 isn’t a emergency channel anymore, now a calling channel in Spanish with lots of power and the echo microphones, channel 19 is pretty much the cousin of Channel 6
Tecsun PL-880, MLA-30 plus loop antenna. Various sdrs.

Please eQSL to deserthawk1990@hotmail.com

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2023, 0429 UTC »
Sure enough. 27.065a (ch9) has been mostly Spanish-language DX here in the SE USA since even my CB days back in the 1990s

27.185a (ch19) ranges from truckers, to truckers talking DX, to often just outright trolling via both locals and DX here.

A few local regulars still popup in the SDR waterfall here. Seems mostly mornings on the same two or three frequencies.

I rarely turn on a CB anymore, but if I was so inclined, I tend to prefer DX via the usual SSB frequencies. That said, I know, even 27.385l (ch38) can turn into QRM and trolling real quick.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2023, 0431 UTC by RobRich »
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip