We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: KiwiSDR 2 Now Available for Pre-order.  (Read 2894 times)

Offline nitroengine

• Minneapolis/St.Paul, MN
    • View Profile
KiwiSDR 2 Now Available for Pre-order.
« on: December 21, 2023, 2028 UTC »
As announced on the KiwiSDR forum, the online store for the KiwiSDR 2 has been opened for pre-order.

https://kiwisdr.nz/

https://forum.kiwisdr.com/index.php?p=/discussion/3051/kiwisdr-2-the-online-store-is-open-for-orders-please-visit-kiwisdr-nz

Quote from: jks (KiwiSDR Forum)
The six prototypes we received from our New Zealand manufacturer today work great. So it's time to open the store. Please visit kiwisdr.nz

KiwiSDR 2 assembled USD $395. Includes BeagleBone Green (software pre-installed), metal case, GPS active antenna (5m RG174), self-test cable.

KiwiSDR 2 board-only USD $295. Add to your existing BeagleBone Green/Black, AI, AI-64. Includes self-test cable.

Please note:

• Shipment is likely early February 2024. Your order helps us to crowdfund the first production run. Thank you.
    • The first run is expected to sell out so purchases will be shipped in the order received.
    • We tried to limit the price increase as much as we could. $395 is 20% over the $330 price of two years ago. Many of our components doubled in cost (e.g. ADC).
    • Shipping costs are unfortunately terrible. (USD) $10 to NZ, $35 to AU, $40 to USA/Canada, $50 everywhere else. DHL tracked. It's not just us. For example SDRPlay charges (USD) $57 UK-to-NZ, $33 UK-to-USA.
    • VAT/duty applicable to your country will be collected by DHL.
    • Good news / bad news: We had to remove the balanced input transformer. Unable to eliminate the noise coupled into it. But everything else is there: digital attenuator, self-test, GDT, reverse polarity protection, better GPS chip. We added a shield can to the FPGA 1V SMPS for further noise reduction.
    The good news is that we're working on a separate box incorporating an antenna switch with multiple balanced outputs, AM BCB LC filter traps (tunable) and some sort of switched SWBC attenuation (TBD). There may also be an active GPS splitter. And perhaps even support for a frontend daughter card like Glenn's 2 GHz frequency extender. We'll be asking for your help in defining this device.

We sincerely appreciate your support. It's been a difficult couple of years. But we're back!

Receiver: Unlisted KiwiSDR configured to 3-channel wideband mode.
Ant: Homemade "Wellgood" 1m amplified loop normally kept in a fixed position (NNW/SSE) to keep 1500 KSTP in the null.

Offline nitroengine

• View Profile
Re: KiwiSDR 2 Now Available for Pre-order.
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2023, 2029 UTC »
It sounds like folks are having trouble placing an order at the moment, but the problem is being worked on.
Ant: Homemade "Wellgood" 1m amplified loop normally kept in a fixed position (NNW/SSE) to keep 1500 KSTP in the null.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2023, 2033 UTC »
The merchant host issue should be resolved now.

I ordered an assembled kit earlier today. :)
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2023, 0240 UTC »
The merchant host issue should be resolved now.

Thanks for the update Rob. I had been trying to order a receiver but the "merchant" was not working. My KiwiSDR 2 has now been ordered.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2023, 0025 UTC »
My KiwiSDR 2 has now been ordered.

:)

60% of the first production run reported as already sold earlier today.
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Online Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2023, 1336 UTC »
The fully assembled KiwiSDR 2 with case and GPS receiver is an interesting set,
but does not include the power supply.

You still have to find the low noise PSU. Is it still 3A at 5V ?
(not easy to find a true linear PSU giving 3A at 5V)

D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
+/- : about 0.02 offset, ++/-- 0.03/0.04 offset
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
*** Mes pages ex-OEM : semaines des OC, radios-médias, techniques de réception, en français, demandez  les ! ***

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2023, 1623 UTC »
Find yourself a nice Lambda LP-520 or Lambda LP-530 (or equivalent) on eBay or your favourite electronic surplus store. You will be able to run at least 3 x KiwiSDRs with an LP-530.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2023, 0358 UTC »
There are users running switchers. YMMV. More details:

https://forum.kiwisdr.com/index.php?p=/discussion/3009/quiet-switch-mode-power-supply-smps-for-kiwisdr

BTW, the "audiophile" market has created a demand for 5v linear power supplies. Check eBay or similar. They are often listed as "HiFi" models. YMMV, though, as designs and prices vary considerably.

I have been considering a surplus supply from the PLC industry. Like an Allen-Bradley compact model or similar. Still I suspect extra EMI/RFI filtering might be needed.

Offline nitroengine

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2024, 0913 UTC »
For my Kiwi, I built my own linear power supply using an old Triad F-36A filament transformer, full wave bridge rectifier, and a 5 volt 3 amp LM1085 low dropout linear regulator. Along with the necessary filtering and decoupling caps. The power supply is plugged into a differential/common mode line filter.

A set of windings on the filament transformer are also used with a 12 volt linear regulator to supply power to my amplified loop.

The Kiwi is installed in a shed/shack in my backyard which I have the entire shack on a PowerVAR 3 stage toroidal power conditioner with a common mode pi-filter. The power conditioner is located back at my house, so it filters noise off the line before it has a chance to radiate from the feeder running to the shack and from the wiring within the shack.

The Beagle will shut down if the voltage dips below about 4.75 volts for even a fraction of a second, so you want your power supply to be able to provide a stable voltage output during moments of peak current draw (especially during start up). The cable you use to connect your Kiwi to your power supply should be of sufficient gauge as to reduce voltage drop. Depending on length, 22 to 18 AWG is typical.

Offline nitroengine

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2024, 2138 UTC »
Quote from: jks (KiwiSDR Forum): 12-31-2023 22:57 utc

There are about 20 units remaining for purchase. They can be configured as full systems or board-only as needed.

In addition we are holding some in reserve for contingencies: Manufacturing attrition, customer support spares, delivery loss, etc. Although we're hoping for little of this.

Offline N8BTR

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2024, 1754 UTC »
First round of KiwisDR2s are all gone. Got mine right away!  :D

Hopefully they ship from NZ in February as promised.

-Nate
N8BTR

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2024, 0004 UTC »
The first round of pre-ordered KiwiSDR 2 units have started shipping.

https://forum.kiwisdr.com/index.php?p=/discussion/3098/kiwisdr-2-shipping-status

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2024, 0018 UTC »
So, I am #103 on the shipping list ... I guess I should get ready and set things up.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2024, 0023 UTC »
Order #60 here. I still need to test the linear power supply that I ordered awhile back, plus figure out what I am going to do about an antenna.

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2024, 0036 UTC »
I'm still thinking of installing a Cross Country Wireless HF Active Loop Antenna v4 but think it might be out of stock. Their eBay listing has had zero stock for the past little while.

It is not speced to go bellow 500 kHz which means degraded signals for beacons, 100 kHz eLORAN and WWVB at 60 kHz.

https://www.crosscountrywireless.net/active_loop_antenna.htm
« Last Edit: February 12, 2024, 0038 UTC by ~SIGINT~ »