We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: TDA2003 has been obsoleted  (Read 9207 times)

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
TDA2003 has been obsoleted
« on: September 03, 2013, 0138 UTC »
Another VERY useful part (for 12V audio amps and modulators) bites the dust and I am sorry to see these go.  I just received this notification from Digi-Key:

Dear Valued Digi-Key Customer,
You have purchased the following part number from Digi-Key within the last two years. The manufacturer has announced an update to the part status.

Manufacturer STMICROELECTRONICS
Description IC 10W CAR AUDIO AMP PENTAWATT
Manufacturer Part Number TDA2003AV
Digi-Key Part Number 497-11263-5-ND
Status Obsolete 
Last Time Buy Date Undefined By Supplier
Substitutes Please click here

I'm sure we'll be able to buy these for a couple more years but they will be drying up more and more, starting now.  So if you've been waiting...
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Offline RadioAnarchy

• south Louisiana swamp and bayou country.
    • View Profile
    • Radio Anarchy
    • Email
Re: TDA2003 has been obsoleted
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 0250 UTC »
yes, a very cool part indeed.  and the TDA2002 before it.

I just checked NTE Inc and they list the inventories of
the NTE1288 (same as TDA2003), and a few hundred available.

http://dilp.netcomponents.com/cgi-bin/nteinc.asp?partnumber1=NTE1288

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 2331 UTC »
Try the LM1875.  Still in full production from TI (Who acquired National recently).  Its also a 20W part, vs. 10W for the TDA2003, and shares the same pinout.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 2355 UTC »
Try the LM1875.  Still in full production from TI (Who acquired National recently).  Its also a 20W part, vs. 10W for the TDA2003, and shares the same pinout.

+-RH

Hi Redhat - I'm not sure how well the 1875 behaves on a 12 volt supply.  Maybe I'll play with one and see, if can I find some time for it.  I was using 1875s a while back when I was playing around with a 24 volt Heising modulation scheme.  It was definitely a good performer at the higher voltage level.
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 0212 UTC »
16V is listed as the minimum supply voltage.  I realize that simplicity is key, but you could go for a discrete design, or better yet, go series modulation with PWM.  DC-20KHz audio bandwidth, good efficiency too which means cooler operation.  The only bitch is getting the 26V to modulate it with, but with transformer coupling, the modulator could also be the step up converter.

Just 2¢

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 0256 UTC »
Very compelling modulation idea Redhat!  I'm not sure I have the technical expertise to pull it off though.  I haven't had much luck in my previous flailings at PWM audio.  But I guess that sooner or later I'll probably feel masochistic again :D