We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Furusato no Kaze (A Wind From Home) 9705 AM 1335 UTC 18 FEB 2024  (Read 404 times)

Offline Kestrel

• Just Outside The National Capital, USA
    • View Profile
1335 man speaking in Japanese
1340 woman singing "Do-Re-Mi" from "The Sound of Music" in Japanese

Furusato no Kaze (A Wind From Home) is a Japanese language broadcast from the Japanese government to Japanese abductees in North Korea.  I had never heard this broadcast before I heard it this morning - and I did not know of it.  It definitely brought a tear to my eye when I recognized the song the woman was singing - as it isn't difficult to understand why it was chosen for the broadcast.

Signal was weak here, at only about S6, with steady QRN
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 2337 UTC by Kestrel »
Unless otherwise noted, I am listening via NA5B web SDR, with an antenna in northern Virginia, just outside Washington, DC

Offline Ron - Calif.

• View Profile
Re: Furusato no Kaze (A Wind From Home) 9705 AM 1335 UTC 18 FEB 2024
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2024, 1734 UTC »
FYI - - - - Info from Hiroshi, in Japan, who monitors daily: http://hiroshi.mediacat-blog.jp/e153823.html :

Korean and Japanese broadcasts in the 1300s can be heard at 12045, 9705, and 7295kHz. ``Furusato no Kaze News''
features a statement from Megumi Yokota's younger brother, Tetsuya Yokota, recorded on January 27th at the ``National
Gathering to Consider the Abduction Issue in Miyazaki'' as an appeal to the families of the abductees.
The hometown song corner is only broadcast in Japanese and features ``Do-Re-Mi songs''. Song title announcements
are not always made. This week's Korean songs include ``Arigatou'' by Yousui Inoue and Tamio Okuda, and ``Sayonara
Mankind'' by Tama. The Japanese broadcast includes YAMATO's ``Mata Anata wo Omoi'' from the live concert from the
joint public recording on January 14th.

Offline Kestrel

• Just Outside The National Capital, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Furusato no Kaze (A Wind From Home) 9705 AM 1335 UTC 18 FEB 2024
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2024, 2011 UTC »
Thanks, Ron!  That's interesting information, and a good source for updates on the broadcasts.
Unless otherwise noted, I am listening via NA5B web SDR, with an antenna in northern Virginia, just outside Washington, DC